1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plate Compactor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Jul 26, 2007.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

What brand of compactor do some of you guys use, and has anyone ever heard of belle??? compactors...need to purchase one....walk behind type, not for the mini....

2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Have ran both Wacker and IR, and I would buy either. Just get one with Honda power!

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

do you have a home depot rental store in your area? if so you can get a deal on a used wacker with a honda when they turn the fleet over.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Vibramax and an IR both Honda power. I just put a new engine on the Vibramax. The original last 9 years. The IR is a comfortable plate to run. Seems to pack well maybe not quite as tight as the Vibramax

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I rented a Belle last year, it was a larger reversible plate. Wasn't really impressed, I rented it thinking I could do larger lifts than our smaller Bomag but I don't think that was true. We like our Bomag just fine, packs real good in 4-5" lifts.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Wacker 3050a here. 6700lbs force. LOVE THE THING. I will never go back to use a 1550 size machine for base ever again. When you see a landscaper with a big compactor you know hes a serious hardscaper.

7. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

yeah...ive rented from home depot 4-5 times this year, and could have probably used the compactor on several other occasions...anyways almost time for me to buy one...i do smaller jobs- excavating for patios & walkways etc...

what should i look for...im thinking used....can i pick up a used one for around $1000...not sure of the hp/force or models to be looking at...any help out there?

8. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking LawnSite Member

Bobby, We just picked one up off Craigslist for short money. Good investment. Hows business?

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

home depot will sell you a machine out of their fleet i got my wacker for $600 and it had only been rented 30 times, after five years they sell them

10. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

yeah, i saw a few on craigslist...i actually have to rent one again next week...i may check out the home depots...that price sounds real good-$600 for 30 rentals...thats one piece of equipment i wouldnt mind buying out of a rental fleet...

jp, business has slowed down a bit...just the dead of summer slowdown, vacations etc...