Plate Compactor

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drew Gemma, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Lookin to buy what is the best bang for the buck?
    What features are a must ? Brand? Sizes I need one tht will do all small and large.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we love bomag. i like mine much better than the wackers.

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a brand new Wacker 1550 for sale. It's never even had oil in it and has original paper work. Seems to be a popular machine. PM me if you're interested.

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I have been very happy with our Sakai plate tamper, we have had it about 5 years or so. I think we paid $1600 for it brand new. Looks very similar to a wacker, but a lot less money and i believe it had a higher rating. only problems we ever had was with the Honda engine, nothing that Sakai makes.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We use Mikasa and Wacker. Both are good machines.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a Wacker 2540a and a Dynapak LF 90. Both are great machines that have different purposes. I recommend a reversible like the 2540. It is great in trenches and tight spots. It hits at 5,600#. The DP hits at 3500# and is great for seating pavers and compacting the final screed on your flatwork. Go with the 2540. Great all around machine.

Chris

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 3050b and could not imaging myself without it.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

We have a 2540 and a 3050. The 3050 is a little nicer on the larger jobs, cuz the plate is a little wider. The 2540 hits almost as hard, and is a little easier to manuever in tighter spots. If I could only have one, I'd go with the 3050.

We have Wacker 1550's for setting pavers and final GRAVEL screed on flatwork.

You did mean gravel screed, right Chris? Or, are you tamping your bedding sand now too? :D

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I......UUUHHH.........UUMMM.......Yeah! Gravel screed. Of course! Who do you think I am.......Landscapingpoolguy?

Chris

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i like bomag