Plate compactor

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vtscaper, Jun 10, 2008.

1. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a new compactor just a 20" by 24". Ive been leaning towards the Mikasa opposed to the Whaker. Any thoughts? Both hit around the same #3500 and have a similar build but the whak is slightly more $.

Thanks Guys

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I've personally had better luck with Mikasa. I own 2 of them and one wacker, and bomag. All are great.

3. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

We have a Mikasa and it is awesome. We are going to buy a smaller one to replace our new dynapac. Our Mikasa is 7800# and we use it for the base, our new one will be for on pavers...

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a mikasa. check sunbelt for pricing. they were the best price around here.

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Around here everyone uses Wacker!!

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Purchased a Stone (silver fox) plate compactor that hits at 5100#. I believe the plate size is 20x24. Bought the paver mat as well. All told came to $3,300 with tax. Oh ya, honda engine and a roll cage with a lift point. In the few weeks we have been using it we are very impressed.

7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a Mikasa MVC88 with the Honda engine and I love it. It is much easier to use than the Wacker 1550 we use to rent. It comes with an anti-vibration handle that makes using it a pleasure.