plate compactors and brick/block saws

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by earth man, Dec 20, 2007.

1. earth man

earth man LawnSite Member

I would appreciate you sharing your experiences with various brands of plate compactors and brick & block saws (gas engine models). Any one have a "Stone" brand?
  2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have a stone plate compactor it will never die. I suggest only buying honda motors, they are tough as schut and last forever.
  3. csl

csl LawnSite Member

have a bomag (bosch) diesel plate compactor. greatest compaction i have ever had, just a pain in the a** to start in the winter. have several of the gas powered makita 14" diamond saws, they work great. also have norton clipper saw that has needed to be rebuilt several times, real pain

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I have an electric table saw and use a generator to run it. I did that instead of a gas saw so that i can run a radio, lights or what ever else i need. I little more expensive maybe, but a lot more virsitile. I have not purchased a compactor yet, but have enjoyed the wacker 1550 i have rented several times. Get one with a water jug on the front and pref. one that is reversible. non reversible is a pain in tght spots.
  5. Reconwalls

Reconwalls LawnSite Member

have used stone tampers they are great...just make sure u use the correct equipment for the job. use a big stone diesel tamper for doing your base on a driveway instead of your little small one that u tamp pavers with. if u use the big tamper u will see and feel the difference.

makita cut off saws are the way to go start easy and are light.
  6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

mikasa and wacker both make excellent tampers, as far as saws we use stihl for handhelds and mk for table saws.