Platform for Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrebeiro, Apr 21, 2001.

1. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

OK I think it's time to get a sulky or platform for my Scag's. What do you guys reccomend. Me and my partners each weigh about $200 and we are all at the 6'+ height range. We have seen people with these platforms that raise above the ground which leave no lines in the grass but can these things hold me without breaking???? What do you reccomend that has the best steering... and how do you control them on turns I usually have to pull back to keep both wheels moving how is this done with a sulky. Your comments are greatly appreciated....

Thanks.

2. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

if you will email me (jeffrey@tedorkin.com) i will give you some info i have a proslide and a velke and have plenty of opinions but some things i have to say will get me in trouble on this site, haha... email me jeffrey@tedorkin.com AIM- JROrkin

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older sit down sulky works best on larger areas
    In Conn we have a paper called Bargain News. you need a
    trailor type. For a stand on try Trimmer Traps Bull rider. I favor the sit down for a treed area. Looked at your pics
    are the Scags 48 or 52. Still working on T bar pics
    Ed

4. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I have a Proslide on my 52" Turf Tracer. I love it! It is the cats meow for striping. They have made improvements to it. It has two gas shocks that raise the plate when you are not using it. It does not pivot like conventional sulkies. You are always right behind the controls. No tires to go flat, no wheels to mark-up your stripes. I weigh 225 lbs and am 6'3". The 17 hp Kawasaki has no problem hauling my rear around.

I would recommend the Proslide from http://www.novaecorp.com

5. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Edward...

Scags are 48"

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sulky from Jungle Jim, it is the Jungle wheels. It has two wheels and a roomy flat platform for your feet. Mine is about 6 years old now and works just as good as the first day I used it. Only thing I have had to do is replace a zerk fitting. It hooks up really fast and easy, if you want to take it off for certain accounts. It is a trailering kind which works fine on my gear drive, but with a hydro I would look at the Bull Rider by Trimmer Trap.

7. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I use a "Bull Rider" sulky on my Hustler w/b. Nice heavy built piece of equipment.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also own and use the bullrider from trimmertrap on my hydro w/b's. It is heavy duty and stays right behind the mower at all times. I am going to demo an Exmark steerable sitdown sulky next week on my 48" hydro. We will see. I'm leary of it on slopes.

9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a hydro look at the Lesco stand on looks similiar to bull rider but does not work on belt drives