1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Platinum Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ATL Lawn, Nov 10, 2006.

1. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here ever used Platinum spark plugs in there mowers? and other machines?

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use a platinum plug in my WB, with it being pull start, it seems to start better
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My scag tiger cub with a kohler came with them from the factory. I replace them each year and they look as good as the new ones I Install

4. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

what model # plug u use?
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I'll have to look, but i got if from tha dealer and its called an EZ start plug which is platinum
  6. PaulHautz

PaulHautz LawnSite Member

Yes seemed like more fuel efficiency, no gap setting required on 4 electode plugs and seemed like easier starting
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Forget it! I have a Perma Green Ultra. In fall, I used an expensive "Split Fire" plug with an electrode that was split so that it was like a snake tongue. But...I found myself starting with the rope instead of electric starter most of the time. One day motor started to miss badly--stalled and would not restart. I could not roll the machine up the ramp and back on the carrier on the back of my truck. Some guys from another company helped me. A few minutes later I found a used Champion plug in my toolbox. Installed it and PG started immediately. R12yc or something like that.
    I suspect that if you have two electrodes you are just getting two weak sparks, instead one one strong spark.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tried em on some makes of ope,some times it works others it makes the mowers miss really bad.
  9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i have seen adds for plugs that show bolts of electricity jumping from those plugs 2 and 4 ways at the same time. we know that eletricity will take the least resisted path. it won't divide equally and fire at all points. to me it will fire across one point. the advantage of platinum plugs is the electrode doesn't erode near as fast as a regular plug. Just my thoughts......