Play sets and mailbox posts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nfarr, Jul 20, 2006.

1. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

Does anyone cut around wooden play sets or mailbox posts with something other than a line trimmer to avoid the possiblity of marring?

2. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

fiskers makes a pair of shear's that have an extened handle were you dont have to bend over to cut, basically suped up scissor's.

I thought of getting a pair for those hard to reach area's behind the ac unit,around phone line's and such areas i cant get with the trimmer. Also places like around the phone line's where i could possible tear them out or other wise damage them.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Soooo time consuming. If you are that concerned about it (or the homeowner) just put the plastic protector around it. If I witnessed a LCO choppin grass around a swing set with super scissors, I'd have a field day....LOL.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It takes time and practice, but over the years you get so good with the trimmer, you don't actually touch the posts with the string, you just barely zing by it so close it's unreal, but that's the ticket.

I found the easiest way to get like that was to practice consciously, meaning I think about this, hey, let me weedeat this here driveway edge without touching the pavement... Over time, you get really good at it.

Unfortunately, a few marks can't be helped, nobody is perfect, but close would help :)

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

barber sissors

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No but I've sprayed round up around them. If your careful with the spray you can keep the kill zone to with in 1-1/2 inches and then you don't have to trim around them. And its not noticeable unless your directly over the spot

7. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

The less weedeating the better. Spray a small maintenance strip around objects and buildings to avoid smackage.

8. smackage; Great word. Lawnsite should add it to their spell check vocabulary..:)

BTW; If that "maintenance strip" starts getting out of hand, just add some mulch and it all looks like you planned it that way.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

who gives a crap if they get nicked up! i hate these things and tell customers if they add a playset i automaticly increase my price by 5$ -trampolines too!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Heeeey, I never thought of charging extra for that POS... Playsets I'm ok with but you're right anyway, and tramps are a major PITA like when you have to move them so you can cut under it but just as bad is when you CAN'T move it.
    I did start charging for pita stuff but never really thought of playsets like that, I just look at the overall picture, still I get the point.