Playground stuff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

ACK!
    One of my accts has a fantastic back yard. It's a bit cramped, with too many mulch beds around, but it takes a great cut and stripe...

Now, there is a new play"thing" (has a slide, but no swing) in the best part of the open area.
    So it irritates me because...
    a) Its something else to trim around, a bunch of trimming in fact, not taken into account when I gave my bid.

b) Those things are made of wood, and the trimmer line chews on them a bit.

c) The kids burn paths around it, killing the grass.

d) It screws up the striping and overall look of my work.

Anyone else hate playground stuff?

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

No my kids love them!

If that's all you have to worry about in a day... Your Lucky!!!

All Clear

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

next time take in to consideration how much trimming you have to do before you give the prize. we learn something every day don't we? Kids burning paths?Killing grass? there is nothing you can do about that.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting that your comments imply you are unhappy that the owners are actually using their yard and messing it up? I guess about 90% of the people never go into their yards in our area, and for that reason the yards are very very small. Hardly room to turn a mower around.

5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

How??? Are we to guess what the customers might buy and place in their yards throughout the year?

It can be frustrating at times but that's part of the business.

kc

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, this just happened at an account of mine, great back yard with much beds and obsticals. they installed a wood play set with no swings, and they put it right on top of grass, so there is grass comming up in the center that i will only trim every other week because it is a hassle, and the weed whacker scars the edge a bit, but they will have to deal with that, because you can hardly see it. they ploped it right under a nice big tree infested with tent catapillars and now the whole thing is covered in them, kinda gross.
    they also have a t-ball set and a hammok that are strew accross the yard that i have to move or i could damage it.

and they have a plastic play set that i just use the bumper on the tractor to push it out of the way, works good causes ZERO damage.

7. K.Carothers

I know the feeling. That center is a pain in the a$$. A way around it is to sell the customer on a sand box being made out of that center square. You can even offer to supply the sand(customer pays) and the kids love it. Before you throw the sand in, use your trimmer and burn the crap out of the grass in the center then throw the sand in - problem solved and your a hero.

kc

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, what an idea, that's great. they already have a sandbox, but it's a bit uh what's the word i'm looking for? oh ya crappy. i'll have to mention this to them.
    thanks

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah right, I don't mind them anymore, took a few years to learn how to set the swings and things out of the way so now I ride my mower under and through most of them... Far as the trimming, just be careful, your string technically shouldn't touch the surface against which you're trimming but it's supposed to meet with the surface without touching it: Practice makes perfect so this is a great opportunity to improve, once I learned how to do it right, my trimmer line sounds like an electric razor humming, instead of that zinging sound it used to make.

10. K.Carothers

You right Tops- I think another reason is when your workers try to trim around a post without moving. They think they can use their arms and do the reach method. The reach method is obtainable, but only after many, many hours on a trimmer. I tell my guys to walk around all 4 sides holding the trimmer steady and only concentrate on the side their body is facing.

kc