Playing in the dirt

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Got a job driving dump truck doing offroad hauling from a pit on private land and hauling it to a area being leveled out. It has been well over a year since I have done any gear jamming. It is curing my desire to go back to the excavating. The truck is a old International with 8/92 driptroit power.

Hopefully the weather holds off and doesn't rain. Got quite abit of material hauled today putting 20 ton at a time in the old tandem. Job will prolly go for a couple weeks.

I don't have any pictures I don't have a digital camera.
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds fun! Hows the money?
  3. Gravel Rat

I told the guy we will figure out the wages after the job is done. The guy is a friend so I will give him a deal.
  4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

just admit it you are just a ole trashy rock hauler and you love it LOL
  5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Well who doesn't like those side jobs? I miss the pasture clearing and debris removal I did in the past. The old stuff is interesting as well. No creature comforts, just power.
  6. Gravel Rat

I put it this way its keeps my sanity and makes me know I still can do jobs like that because I work for the gov't so I haven't played in the dirt for almost 2 years now.
  7. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is that in some locations, the desire for dirt work cannot be fulfilled. Spending most days at a desk is ok, as long as you get a few from time to time in the field. I have yet to find the same opportunities in the Keys/Miami area as I did further upstate.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm back outside and LOVING IT! I like my restaurant job okay, but there's no fulfillment whatsoever. Been cutting grass for 3 weeks now and lovin' it, nothing like being outdoors. Plus I'm starting to get a super rad tan that is attracting the attention of the ladies I work with at the restaurant. :drinkup:

It's great to be able to do both, a good steady income that pays the bills and something to do on the side. GR, didn't realize you'd been out of the game for 2 years, I thought you were in the hauling biz with your F450?
  9. Gravel Rat

I was trying to get some work for the F-450 but there doesn't seem like there is much out there right now. I have done a few jobs with the truck but otherwise its not busy. It definatly isn't as busy as last year or the year before. I go full time with the gov't in June so I will have all year round job and I will do my sideline jobs on my days off etc.
  10. Gravel Rat

Working on the job today we have been dealing with weather delays it was sunny today. Its been a long long time since I have drove truck for a full 7.5 hours. Prolly go another 100 loads to go or more we are filling in a low spot now.

Have to wait for some more material to be dug out the material we are using to level the area out with is being dug out of a bank and its too hard to dig with the front bucket on the 590 backhoe. Have a local guy with a trackloader is going to push the material over the bank tommorow. It is good gravel its really clean and packs well. The guy I'am working for is lucky he has a good reserve of gravel on part of the 100 acres. Already dug out 1000 tons or more.

I just wish the weather would hold off it has been rain and more rain and I don't want to be hauling in the rain the road we are hauling on will be distroyed. It was raining pretty heavy most of the week and today with being the first dry day the ground was still a little saturated. Truck was sinking into the road in a few spots. Road was never built for a 60,000lb truck making 100 trips on.

One thing about it I'am enjoying playing in the dirt sure allot more interesting than my gov't job but I have to stick with a job that is full time which is the gov't :cry: