1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Playing in the Dirt

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjsquickcuts, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

This is a current job we are working on right now. Plans for a pool and retain wall were denied by the county because of drop off so we back filled the area to extend the lawn, and plan to connect it with the bottom. It was filled with Trees and brush, but we had all that cleared out months ago, and we just waiting on permits of the pool and wall. But plans changed when they denied the permits. It took about 20 dump truck loads of dirt. Here are some pics from phase 1 of 2.

First pics are of all the fill dirt that was hauled in and some of the area that is to be filled in....

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

they denied your wall permits b/c of that hill? I dont think I understand
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a cool job. How far back (last 3 pics i'm reffering to) are you planning on going?
  4. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

and here are more.....all of these pics are of the area that we are working in. We extended the lawn out about 25 ft on one side to make it even with the other side of the lawn. Sloped it down to naturally run off, will landscape middle of slope with a few trees, some junipers, and pompas grass covered with pinestraw. We will hold off on the sod until spring, but we did over seed to help lock the slope in place.

5. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

and a few more of me working....as for the permits, we submitted the wall and pool proposal together, and they were denied because of the close proximity to the septic tank and sewer line located all the way in the back. Where we would have had to excavate was too close to the sewer. Actually cheap and poor engineer by the builder during the sewer line install. I knew it was going to be a problem, but submitted it anyway. My LA said that we could have resubmitted with just the wall, and excavated further up the bottom slope and that would be approved, but the HO didnt want to do the wall if he couldnt do the pool plus the cost of the wall was going up because we were going to need a big excavator and operator. It was going to be 2 five feet walls. But oh well, no need to cry over it now. But I will get more pics up later....So far its looking really good but I will let yall be the judge of that...

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm, whats the point of the silt fence if its not even touching the ground, lol.... that would get you shut down up here..
  7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

That dirt is really different looking compared to the loam and fill that's around here in New England. Its not dark brown but like a tan color. Maybe its just the lighting. Is that your Bobcat or a rental, looks new?
  8. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

The silt fence was only used just incase it rained lmao out of the blue. Once dirt was dropped, made a ramp to get down to the second level and used the BC to push the stakes in places. Once we got started, we pulled it up to complete the job.

The fill dirt is got ole gawja red clay. Nothing compacts and holds better. It was very clean and super soft and easy to work with.

Yes, the BC is brand new....only had 2 hours on it from being a demo. Got a great deal on it. First time it touch dirt and it got a pretty good work out. This is the second heavy duty machine I have purchased within the last few weeks.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The dirt is probably clay.
  10. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

yep, clay is what it is.