1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OU812, Dec 20, 2000.

1. OU812

OU812 LawnSite Member
    from wy

How many members here are in the PLCAA?What benifits have you had by joining.I have been considering joining but Im not quite convinced.After all i want the money invested into the PLCAA to have some return.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Your grandfather must have been one great guy! I guess you probably realized that there aren't too many on this forum that are members of the PLCAA, at least I don't think so. There has been a discussion on this before, you would have to do a search to find it because it was a few months back. Welcome to Lawnsite, feel free to contribute in any way you can and ask all the questions you want.

By the way, what did you eat?
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure, but have been told that to do any planting in the State of Alabama you must be certified by the PLCAA. I have registered to take the test but seem to find no one else who knows about this certification. The local Co-Op says they've never heard of it, along with many other contractors in this area. I talked with the man in charge of the test and he says there is a minimum $500 fine for planting without the certification. Has anyone else heard of this? It seems ridiculous that after many years of doing installation jobs I'm just hearing about the certification requirements and if the Co-Op doesn't know about it how should I be expected to know. When I applied for my city liscence as a landscaper they didn't say anything. Any info would be appreciated.

4. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I live in Mississippi and I know that you have to be certified to advertise or bid on landscaping jobs in Mississippi. I personally have always thought it was kind of a silly rule. All it pertains to is the actual planting of a plant. You can do all kinds of dirt work, drainage, retaining wall, irrigation, and etc. with no license. However, if you want to dig a hole and stick a plant in the ground your suppose to have a license. It is inforced by the department of agriculture. I don't know where the test comes from. Before you can take the test you either have to have 15hrs of plant science courses or have a certified landscaper on your staff for a year. It is not a very well know law. I worked as a landscape contractor for about a year before I ever heard about it. The guy from the department of agriculture told me that they don't really inforce it. They don't have anybody riding around actually check peoples license. About the only time they do any kind of inforcement is when they have a complaint.

5. OU812

OU812 LawnSite Member
    from wy

Thanks for the welcome HOMER, and i kinda figured that there arn't to many (forum) members that belong to the PLCAA.At least if there is they havent responded.I didn't think to search the archives though.Well anyways after a lot of thinking I decided to join the PLCAA.I signed up today.I want to be the best that i can in whatever field of work i am in ,and I all ways try to further my education when ever I can.So I think that the PLCAA has alot to offer.Not to mention i get a kool sticker!!LOL!!

As far as having to certified to plant here in WY ,no, only thing you need to be certified is to trim tree's and to apply pesticide - herbicide
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I've never heard that you had to be registered with anybody to plant a plant! If you have a State contract maybe, but not for Mr. Plant on Plant St. I'll check into that but it sure sounds kinda funny to me. Who were you talking to..........wasn't a competitor was it. Sounds like he might have thrown you a curve, like when you were a senior and a sophmore asked where a classroom was!!!!!HA HA.

Oh well,
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I don't know about this but here is my take on this. PLCAA stands for Professional Lawn Care Applicators Association. It is a private organization that is run for profit to promote the chemical end of the business geared to growing grass for lawns. I could see that you might have to be certified by the state nursurey organization or the like to plant stock. As far as PLCAA goes, I have looked at it many times and just can't justify it for the benefit. It really seems that they are geared to large tanker companies. I would achieve no benefit from them as a small operator. But that is me. Everything that they give out is available in book or off the internet from univerity sites. They do offer some insurance products but the local guy was about the same price. Anyway to each his own, it just was not worth it to me.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

There have been 3 threads on this subject. I posted in one I was a member of PLCAA, found no benifit for the amount $$ membership cost. Most newsletters were about politiing and legal issues. Mainly for the couple hundred dollars I got a card, a sticker, & a certificate. Wish it offered more "lawn" related training.

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 12-25-2000 at 04:39 AM]
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

This is no joke. You need a special permission to do any type of construction or landscaping in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut. Yeah, you can buy it from my paisan Vinnie, my Uncle Vito or my Goumba Salvatore, you just have to pay the monthly fee!

What you said in your post reminds me of how we ( the seniors) sold fake passes for the pool on the 4th floor ( in a 3 floor High School with no pool) to the freshmen!

Thanks for a good laugh guys.

Seriously though, I wouldn't sweat it if you had to look that hard to find out the regulation or law or whatever.