Please Advise! New mower junk?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin, May 31, 2006.

1. spin

spin LawnSite Member

2006 Ferris IS 1500 21Kaw 48".
    5.1 hrs. dead battery. Dealer provided demo, replaced battery.
    8.0 hrs. dead battery. dealer provided demo, replaced stater.
    currently 9.8hrs. dead battery. going to the dealer today.

Dealer response has been great, but I am still PO'ed. This is my first comm. mower. Would like to know how you guys would handle this situation. Thanks.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Its great that the dealer has a loaner for you and is willing to try and work out the problems. I know its disappointing to spend the $$$$$ and not have the mower. Hopefully they will find what is putting a drain on the system fast

wayne

3. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

have the same exact mower you do at 30 hours right now and the only problem ive had was the dump valve loosened up on my left hydro, tightened em both down and everything is soo much more precise now. every company has those mowers that slip through with something small wrong with em. its unfortunate you got stuck with it.

4. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

The dealer's working with you. Yes, it's a major PITA, but it is for him too. He's giving loaners and he's trying to work through it also. He doesn't want you mad at him or his product any more than you want to be either.

I would hang in there. This will also enable you to see what kind of person is on the other side of the counter. Remember what happens with this for the next time around.

It may sound funny right now.... but good relationships can be formed out of things like this. :)

A

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like the alternator is burnt. No big deal, can go untreated though. Doesn't mean you should say the whole machine is bad.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a very good mower with a minor, annoying problem. Could be the alternator/regulator, could be a loose connection on the charging circuit. Might also be a pinched wire somewhere that is making just enough of a connection to drain the battery without getting real hot.

As previously mentioned, this will be a good indicator of what you can expect of your dealer in the future. How somebody treats you when the chips are down is far more important than how they treat you when you have cash in hand!

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Does it have a voltage regulator. That could cause it not to recharge while its running.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have yet to figure out why anyone would buy a Ferris!!!

9. spin

spin LawnSite Member

Dealer met me after hours yesterday. Said he called Ferris and Kawasaki. They told him to replace the voltage regulator, and if I still encounter the same problem they will give me a new mower. Thanks for the input, you guys were right, even though this has been a PITA; my dealer and I have a very good relationship and I now know they are first class.

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Isnt it great flying first class$$$$ Let us know the outcome!! Good Luck!