Please advise on residential mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by han_d_man, Feb 7, 2008.

1. han_d_man

han_d_man LawnSite Member

:) First let me thank everyone for this wonderful info on mowing (my first day on this site) I am a beginner with one season under my belt. I'm a residential lawn cutter with 15 customers and so far 5 new prospects I started out in June 07 with a 8 yr old Craftsman 21 inch self propelled mower.I'm looking to buy a 18hp 42 inch lawn tractor and a 6.75 torque 21 inch self propelled walk behind mower I'm undecided on whether to buy Craftsman or Troy-Bilt their prices are in my range but I don't know which is the more reliable low maintenance product your advise will be appreciated

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Toro 21 Super Recycler for a true multi-purpose machine.
    -true right-sided side-discharge as opposed to a left-sided rear discharge
    -up to 4.25" cutting height

In '05, when Toro redesigned their SR 21 decks to include the above (2) attributes...I found bagging had become unnecessary...HAPPY DAY! :D

PM me if you have any questions about the above as there's more to all this and I'm sick of singing these praises...do a search and you'll learn a lot!

3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Why buy a tractor? I would invest in a 36" used WB. My first year, I did use my tractor for a few of my larger yards(Didnot have WB yet). My tractor took a beating, these things are not made for being loaded and unloaded off a trailer or truck on a daily basis. I only used it because I already owned one for my own yard. They are not very efficient either. I would buy a nice 21" and mow your a** off and save the money for a WB. I guess if you found a cheap tractor on CL and and that is your only option for bigger properties then go for it. Just my opinion.

4. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

A few years ago I bought a 6.5hpTroy built 21" for $200, just for small areas and such. I've cut so much grass with that thing, I can't tell you, you can't kill the thing, and I've tried believe me.

I don't see why anyone would need a 21 to be self propelled, plus it's more stuff to break....just my opinion on that. Any way, if you have small to medium sized yards I'd recommend that mower or something similar as far as 21's go. Troy Built 100 model iirc.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

For the price of a lawn tractor, you could get a commercial grade walk behind. And you don't actually have to walk behind it. You can get a sulky. A lawn tractor WILL NOT LAST.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell you haven't been in this business very long. Go out and push several lawns on a 100 degree day and then see how you feel about what you said. Commercial 21" mowers are built to last and do, just ask anyone on this site. I guess from your comments you only have experience with cheap homeowner stuff.

7. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

I can tell you haven't been in this business very long. Go out and push several lawns on a 100 degree day and then see how you feel about what you said. Commercial 21" mowers are built to last and do, just ask anyone on this site. I guess from your comments you only have experience with cheap homeowner stuff.

Wrong guess Carnac.

Anyone that can't push a 21" mower, in the sun or not, needs to reconsider their line of work...imo. My advise was for a young guy just starting on a limited budget, something I can remember. Sometimes a $400+ 21" isn't feasable, or necessary. It depends on what he needs, I was just throwing out my opinion of an inexpensive small mower that will do a great job, and possibly help him save the money for a better big mower.

I've pushed a mower on many lawns on 100 degree days. As for your guess work, I'd stay away from the horse track if I was you.

8. han_d_man

Thanks, l'll look into it

9. han_d_man