Please be honest

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawns by Steve, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

1. Emphasis on price is a terrible idea.

2. Discounting your service for additional intra-weekly cuts is another bad idea.

If a lawn needs additional cuts during the week and if your customer agrees to it, then cut that lawn at your regular rate. You will soon learn how difficult it becomes to cut lawns at unusual intervals while trying to service your every-7-day-customers.

If you want to last and prosper in this business, then you need to think about building a strong base with the right customers in the right locations with the right pricing.

If you price your service too cheap, your morale will suffer eventually and it will be difficult to bump those customers up to where they really should be.

You can probably get a no-payments-for-90-days type of deal on a new commercial grade mower. Having excellent equipment is important. Homeowner stuff isn't going to last very long.

2. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

well im on my second cup of coffee and i dont get it. if i were to choose package b or c will that be the price per visit? and there is no way ill go out and do the same lawn three times in a week for one set low set price.

thanks

3. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

I have changed my flyer and done away with package c and raised my prices slightly, This is what the average price is around here, I've been told by several other lawn people.feed back please:cool2:

Attached Files:

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

So will you cut my 2 acre lot twice a week for $50?

5. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

Point taken echeandia, but I am only targeting neighbor hoods with smaller yards. This is my first season so I am only hoping for 15 or so yards, I work full time elsewhere. and Hell no I won't mow your lot. Lol So should I mention only 1/3 acre or less for those prices.

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I don't put price on any of my marketing material. I'm not selling widgets, so every job will be different and have a different price. I don't compete on price I compete on service, and good service costs money.

7. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

Hey Steve, I understand the size lot you are referring to especially in the Mid-Del areas ($30 bucks is the norm). However, ......If you leave the price out all together it will be easier. You can tell them when they call that for the smallest lawn it's $30 to start, depending on how overgrown it is.You did a great job listing all of your services and locations. Do you also trim the bushes and hedges....? :dancing:

8. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Yep - you can make them last thru the 1st season and then you willhave a good feel for where you are headed - Good Luck and have plenty of those thin mower blades on hand as well as several belts

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to say it but your going to run into big trouble putting the price on your flyer's. Every lawn is different and your going to end up loosing money. JMO

10. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Bro, you can take this for what its worth. I learned the hard way that the residential don't hold up. Its better to get commercial equipment, way less headache. My dealer were I purchased my zero turn explained lot with differences in the two types. I never buy residential equipment. You get what you pay for. hope this helps