Please call me out if I'm wrong!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gilatplc, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Working on a paver patio EST and I need to have my math checked!

Site dimensions, 18' 4"x 3' 9"

Estimated paves needed, 309

Job SQ footage, 68.75

Estimated leveling sand needed, 6 yards

Thanks for the help.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I come up with like a quarter of a yard to cover 72 Sq at 1 inch, I rounded your dimension numbers. L X W for Sqft total, divide this by 27 and then by 12, this is your sand Qty, multiply by 6 for your 6 inches of base...........This a yards cinversion if your supplier deals in tons you will have to do further conversions..........

3. gilatplc

from FL

That is the one this I hate around here, one of them deal in ton's the other deals in yards.
    All depends on where the job is.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

It's really hard to estimate pavers because we don't know what brand and style you're goin with. I also think you may be mixing up leveling sand with base material. For what sounds to be a walkway, I come up with 1.273 yards of base material at 6". Then you need about .3 yards of concrete sand to screed at 1". Don't forget you need an edge restraint and spikes as well as joint sand and some tools to do this job. I hope this job is being done at your own home because from what I can tell you must not have any experience if you can't even do basic material calculations. Just trying to prevent you from doin a half-ass job for a customer. Take some pics if you can of construction and finish and I'm sure if some others are feeling helpful they will assist and give their input.

5. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Man, that's one skinny patio!!!

I always round up to be safe.

Let's say 19x4 = 76 SF

76(sf) X .50(6" depth) / 27 (#feet in cubic yard) X 1.4 (to compensate for compaction) = 1.97 or let's say 2 tons of modified stone base material

76 X .08 (1" of sand) / 27 X 1.4 = .315 or 1/3 of a ton of sand

What size are your pavers? I usually order them by square foot, not quantity.

Also if you are doing a border, you need to figure out the linear footage of the border, convert that to square footage and subtract it from your overall square footage.

Good luck!

6. gilatplc

from FL

I have a solid understanding but minimum experience dealing with paver. I know what time, material (not quaintly) tool's and man power will be needed for this SMALL job.
    I have NEVER in 4 years in business produced a half ass job for ANY of my customers and sure hell don't plan on starting now!

I thank you for the constructive information, but you should never judge a book by its cover.

This patio is to located inside of a overhang with no previous foundation except the adjoining house. All there is now is mulch. there is however a concrete border that is the length of the front connecting the two pilers.

7. gilatplc

from FL

What size are your pavers? I usually order them by square foot, not quantity.

Also if you are doing a border, you need to figure out the linear footage of the border, convert that to square footage and subtract it from your overall square footage.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

4"x8" no border

Thanks for the help

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Always round up to the nearest foot then add at least 3% for waste more like 5% on small jobs. so your materials should be estimated for 78 square feet.

we use 2 tons per 100 square feet for base material and

1 ton per 125 square feet of screed sand.

base material and sand is roughly 1.5 tons per yard.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you guys are estimating stone for his exact sq. footage, but what about the 6" shoulder on either side? Thats quite a bit of base material you are forgetting about.

Chris

10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

He said it's against the house and already has a concrete border.