Please cast your vote

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 10, 2002.

?

Vote for your favorite trimmers

1. Echo SRM 260

58 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. RedMax BCZ 2500

43 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Shindaiwa T 230

52 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Stihl FS 85 R

92 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead!!! Brag a little too!!!! :)

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I would also like to see which trimmer is the best. I currently have two Husqvara's but I am looking into Redmax and Echo.

3. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the other models, but the attachments that the FS 85 has makes it the hands down winner in my book, not to mention the power these thing have.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a 2002 Stihl FS80 (same as an 85 but with a cable driveshaft instead of steel, not split boom either). Very powerful and fuel effecient (compared to a Homelite curved shaft with same displacement but lower RPM's :eek: ). I might have gotten the 85RT just in case I wanted attachments in the future but this was just more affordable for me and I didn't need (still don't) any attachments. This has the same engine as an 85, so my vote goes to Stihl FS85, although I haven't tried the others and therefore am biased and un-educated, so I probably shouldn't vote. But I will anyway :D Starts on second pull in 75 deg. + weather, 3 pulls at about 55 deg. during the past week. It goes well with Brickman's signature, "too much power is just about right"!:drinkup:

stihlfs80.jpg

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

hey brushhogboy, do you leave the sheild on your trimmer for safety reasons? just this year, i removed mine, and oh my god it is so much lighter and easier to manuever. i know everyone has their own ways and tricks in this biz, just wondering what yours are. :cool:

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't even know the Stihl 85 had attachments. I couldn't get any literature. I went to there page after seeing this. I guess these replace the head instead of being a split boom.

Is changing out not time consuming?

I've ran a split for the last 3 years with no problems as far as the boom goes or the coupler. Most said I should stay clear of them. I couldn't see why other than putting multl-use hours on the motor.

Is there more to it than that?

Is the Stihl 85's sysem better?

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS85 with the articulating hedge trimming attachment. I have never used Echo. I was in business my first season with a guy who swore by Shindy. The ones we used were T230's, I think. They were underpowered for the amount of weight you had to lug around compared to the Husky 122L and 125L I chose when I started on my own.

Yesterday, I went to get a 24" hedge trimmer, and tried out a Redmax string trimmer. It is simply awesome. It had much less vibration than my Stihl or the Husky trimmers. I will be switching to the Redmax when I buy new machines.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the attachments go on fairly easy. back off two torx screws and take the trimmer head off. slide the attachment on while lining up the end of the shaft. tighten the torx screws back down and fire it up.

9. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I HAVE BEEN RUNNING STIHL FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS AND CAN NOTHING BAD ABOUT THEM. I RUN THE 80 PRO TRIMMER, 18" HEDGH TRIMMERS, AND 85 HAND HELD BLOWER. ME 80 RUNS GREAT WITH PLENTY OF POWER AND EASY STARTING. JUST LAST WEEK I PURCHASED A ECHO 230 TRIMMER AND IT IS GREAT. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD OWN ANY THING OTHER THAN A STIHL BUT I WAS WRONG. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH MY NEW PURCHASE. IT STARTS EVERY TIME ON THE FIRST PULL AND HAS ALOT OF POWER.

THE REST OF MY SET UP INCLUDES A 99 FORD F-150 4X4, 6 1/2' X 16' TEXAS BRAG TRAILER WITH 4' SIDES, A 36" TORO WALK BEHIND, AND A 50" SCAG ZERO-TURN. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH ALL.

JASON'S LAWN SERVICE
    SMITHFIELD VA

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the T230, but don't know that it's the best, since I have not used the other brands that you listed. I can tell you that it is very dependable and tough. Never had any problems in the 2.5 years that I have owned it. I take that back, I did have to replace the $1.47 spring in the bump head of the trimmer.

MATT