Please clarify this contract verbage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Sep 17, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I interpret this as you have to bag the entire place when mowing....doesn't make much sense, I would think they would want you to return the clippings to the yard, at least most of it. Tell me what you think, do I have to bag in order to bid???? thanks in advance

1.2 The Contractor shall mow all turf areas on a 5 - 8 day schedule, spring and fall, and a 6 - 10 day schedule during summer months (June, July, August) as necessary and desirable to maintain a turf height of 2 1/2" to 3", varying with time of year and weather conditions, with no more than 1/3 of the grass blade removed per cutting. The contractor shall strive to alter mowing pattern or direction 90 degrees from the direction of the previous mowing.

Mowing is not to be performed when turf areas are saturated, unreasonably wet or when frost is present.

1.3 Line trimming of all areas inaccessible to mowers including, but not limited to, shrub/tree beds, walkways, foundations, patios/decks, fences, sign and lampposts and other improvements or natural features to achieve a neat appearance. Damage to base of plantings, building posts & siding, lamppost or other site features is not acceptable and will be repaired/replaced by Contractor.

1.4 Grass clippings are to be picked up, raked and otherwise dispersed and removed from all lawn areas, beds, asphalt/concrete surfaces and other areas to negate unsightly conditions (as determined by the Association or it’s representative) or to prevent damage to the turf. Clippings shall not be placed in the dumpsters, woods or other unimproved areas.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Some of the other key phrases in the description are "otherwise dispersed" and "to negate unsightly conditions".

In your bid, it might behoove you to explain your preference to side discharge for the purpose of returning nutrients/water to the lawn. That should be acceptable as long the appearance is kept neat and you are not "damaging the turf" :confused:

I might also be concerned about maintaining 2.5-3". Seems a little on the short side. Unless they are irrigated/fert, in which case, it's going to be hard to remove only 1/3 blade on anything beyond a 7 day schedule.

could this place be a PITA if they constantly wanted you to alter your mowing schedule?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I read it as bagging or blowing visable clippings, which cut on a normal schedule shouldn't happen really or be an issue. It seems to be more directed at the normal areas that you would blow anyway. This contract also seems to have either been written by someone with LCO experience or taken from a standard contract that was prepared with LCO known standards. Unless it is a lot of money for less work they already seem to me that this would be a PITA account and I personally would pass.

4. chevyman1

mark, I think that is a great way to cover my arse while still adhering to the rules, thank you very much....they run their sprinkler systems next to the homes all the time, and sometimes in the common areas...I would mow around 2.75 to 3 next to the homes, and the large common areas 3 or slightly more...it could be a huge PITA, which is why I'm really thinking about the old phrase "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it"

5. chevyman1

currently I don't bag anything on my Dixie and double cut with the deck up higher on the second pass if the clippings clump or look bad. That to me is healthier and far less time consuming then bagging. They have TruGreen do the whole place...want to see the rest of the contract? here's some more....

1.5 Use mowing equipment as and where specified:

Front of Condominiums and inside Patio enclosed areas - Use intermediate size (up to 44”) equipment. Use hand trim mowing equipment (18" - 22") where inaccessible by larger equipment or areas that have excessive slope or are prone to scalping.

Sides and Rear of Homes (excepting Patio enclosed areas) (within 20’ of foundations) - When conditions are favorable use intermediate/large size (30" - 50") walk behind or riding, power drive mowing equipment. Use hand trim mowing equipment (18" - 22") where inaccessible by larger equipment or areas that have excessive slope or are prone to scalping.

Common and open areas - When conditions are favorable use intermediate/large size (30" - 72") walk behind or riding, power drive mowing equipment. Use hand trim mowing equipment (18" - 22") where not accessible by larger equipment or areas that have excessive slope or are prone to scalping.

7.0 Clean-Up Procedures

7.1 The contractor shall provide Spring clean-up to include the removal of all debris such as litter, leaves, branches, sand, dirt, cigarettes butts, etc. accumulated over winter from all improved grounds areas including but not limited to beds, turf areas, walkways and inside/about dumpster enclosures (parking lots not included). Walkways shall be blown off with gas-powered unit or broom cleaned, as necessary or as requested by the Association. Clean back overgrowth along all property and wooded borders to prevent any “encroaching” of property by such growth and such debris shall be collect and disposed of by the Contractor. Complete this operation not later than April 30th.

7.2 The contractor shall provide Fall clean-up to include the removal of all debris such as litter, leaves, branches, cigarettes butts, etc. accumulated from all improved grounds areas including but not limited to beds, turf areas, walkways and inside/about dumpster enclosures (parking lots not included).

Fall clean up shall be performed with such regular frequency as required to keep in a maintained condition, or as requested by the Association, between October 15th - November 30th. All beds, lawn areas, perimeter areas, etc. shall be cleared of all leaves, branches, litter and debris, etc. Final clean up shall be thorough and be completed by November 30th.

7.3 The Contractor shall police for debris providing regular pick-up and disposal of all debris such as litter, leaves and branches. Complete this procedure every site visit by hand or where appropriate using gas powered blower units.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

It does sound like a PITA, but sometimes the standards set forth in contracts aren't strictly enforced. That's not to say that you should try to squeak by with doing as little as possible, or take short cuts (no pun), but as long as it's being maintained properly, and looks good, will anyone really know if you'r mowing at 3.5 or 3"????

How is the "enforcer" of the contract?

7. chevyman1

The enforcer is not all that bad, and I think you are right. It's 75 maintenance free condos, a large bunch of common areas in between them all, on the sides of the roads, and front and back areas too....the current guys from what I see have 3-4 Mexican workers trimming and doing various stuff, 2 guys on 44" walkers with baggers and 1 guy on a 60 or 72" Kabota

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Ok, uh, well maybe I spoke to soon. If there is some little Napolean enforcing this contract to the "T", it could be a PITA. I can just see some buttmunch telling you that you should be doing a certain area with a push mower when you're using a 32" w/b, lol.

I would try to find out more about who you will be reporting to, and how much "freedom" you have to do things your own way. Otherwise, this could feel like going in and punching a clock everyday.

9. GreenMonster

from NH

sorry, we're posting at the same time, and we're not exactly synchronized....

If they're using Walkers now, they might be expecting you to collect???

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I;m telling you that is going to be your biggest PITA account and HOA can be the worst of the worst.