Please critique (soil texture just in)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mac43rn, Feb 7, 2003.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnstudent question time

What one thing do we need to know now?

Hint: Mac43RN can tell us this or we can tell Mac how to find this answer himself at no cost very easy. Mac can even give us a Quantitative number denoting scientific measurement.

No Jim I am just stirring the pot

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Ok, so what is a good soil mixture then? What is the ideal mixture? I honestly dont know the right answer to this question. It just depends. I would think,however, your soil is acceptable, but a little too much clay, but then again, im just babbling. I'd like to hear some info on the perfect soil for a lawn. Is it quiz time? lol.

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

The ideal soil is comprised of 45% mineral, 5% organic matter, 25% water and 25% air.

The idea soil texture is a loam or silt loam. Within a loam classification, clay can range between 10 - 29%, silt 30 - 50%, & sand 20 - 50%. Remember that the three must add up to 100%.

For a silt loam, clay can range between 0 - 29%, silt 50 - 85%, & sand 0 - 50%.

Now, what does mac43rn need to tell us? What is the bulk density in the rhizosphere? In other words, is the soil compacted? Do you have less than 50% pore space?

jim

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Right Lawnstudent Bulk Density or compaction is what I am try to find out. But infiltration was what I am asking for. Drainage is the most important thing in growing. If we have 17" per hour of infiltration then our soil isn't compacted,etc. I am going to bail here again. But before I do I want to say how much I enjoyed this thread. I have learned from it and hope to learn more. It is also fun to take on a worth foe.

6. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto Ric! I'm always up for a good, spirited discussion.

mac43rn,

To test for drainage, as Ric has suggested, dig a hole in your lawn 1 foot deep. Fill it completely full of water. Now let it drain and time it. If it drains within 2-3 hours its OK. 17" per hour will drain in under 1 hr. That's better, but not possible with a high clay content. If it takes longer, you have drainage problems that you should consider fix'n.

jim