1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please don't boot me!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by A72CUTLAS, Mar 10, 2007.

1. A72CUTLAS

A72CUTLAS LawnSite Member

I just realized during the registration process that this site is mainly for Lawn-care Professionals, which I am not, but I'm hoping someone will have pity on me and throw me some advice(or at least point me in the right direction).

After almost 2yrs at my current home I've figured out the problem with my in-ground sprinkler system(the water was shut off at the main:hammerhead: ). Now that I can water on a regular schedule I'd like to get my lawn looking better(greener, healthier, etc...). What I'd like to know is what type of fertilizer works best. I've divulged from surfing this site the store brands(Scott's, Ace, etc...) aren't the best. There is a Lesco's in my area, but after searching their site I'm more confused than ever. I understand the 3 primary #'s, Nitrogen-something-Potassium, but theirs have additional #'s and percentages along with words like Dimension, NoVex, Plastic, etc...

I printed off their application guide for my area and it requires you to know what type of grass you have which, on the one hand I think it's Tall Fescue or Zoysia, but on the other I have no freakin' idea. ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Welcome: Firstly, since you have a Lesco in your area, take some of your grass to them--they'll advise you as to what you need. It's hard to do any recommendation other than--Do a soil test, Measure your yard, Then proceed cautiously--better to underfeed than overfeed.
  3. okgrassguy

okgrassguy LawnSite Member

Im in OKC im not a pro either but go to the Lesco on the north side and talk to Joe, he is an outstanding guy an will help you
  4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Post some pictures; you will get some quick replies.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a real problem and years of mismanagement. Rather than try and pick our brains and get half correct answers because none of us can come to your property and actually see your problem. Hire a Professional. You will be years ahead.

Once a professional gets your lawn back to where it should be, you might have a better chance of taking care of it yourself.
  6. A72CUTLAS

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that I have major problems that require the expertise of a trained, seasoned professional to reverse, i.e., kill the lawn and start from scratch. I believe that the main problem I've had since I moved here is the lack of consistent irrigation d/t my ignorance of the sprinkler system installed when i bought the property. I stated this in my OP. I also mentioned my unawareness of the make up of this forum, the aforementioned seasoned professionals like yourself, Ric. So if you believe that you can't give suggestions/advice to a non-pro then feel free to disregard this and any future post I may make here, because there seems to be more than enough people here willing to help.

My thanks go out to RAImaroad, okgrassguy, and hmartin for your responses.:clapping: I plan to go see Joe over at the Lescoes in Edmond next week, and I will also post a couple of pics of the yard to show that despite certain posts it isn't overrun with weeds and bare spots due to "years of mismanagement". The couple who lived here previously took excellent care of the yard & landscaping, but for whatever reason wouldn't return my calls RE: the sprinkler system.

Since all grass types in my zone(transition) required a Pre-Em w/fertilizer, I went ahead and put down Ace's Green Turf Crabgrass Preventer & Lawn Fertilizer which is 36-3-4 per the label. The Ace guy said to water it daily for a week to make sure it got to the roots completely. I also bought some granular Ironite because it was mentioned on the Lesco site, but am waiting to talk to the Lesco guy before using it. Funny... the Ace guy had no info about this, telling me that all fert's had granular iron in them and that that was what the site was talking about. Had me convinced too, until I saw a bag of the stuff at Home Depot while picking up something for my mom's house.

I'll stop rambling now but I do want to thank all those that have and will give aid to a newb like me.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Don't take offense to my recommending a local professional. I have a degree in Golf Course Management and a degree in Plant Science as well as a few other certifications. IMHO I am not able to give you advice because I don't Know your Climate, Your Soil and most of all your Yard. Agronomy is the oldest Science known to man yet it is the least respected. I wish you well and will give you one more piece of advise (take it or leave it) contact your local Extension service. The Extension service is part of your Land Grant university and your County Extension Agent is a professional who is paid by your state University to help you in these matters. The Extension Service should have free hand outs explaining everything you need to know.
  8. A72CUTLAS

Sorry about the tone of my post, I really didn't take offence to your response, but I'd just had a similar conversation with my cousin(who BTW is a mechanic as serious about his profession as you are), about a matter to do with my '72 Cutlass project. i just asked a question about the intake manifold, and he went into a long dissertation about how he needed to know this , that, and the other about what cam shaft, carb, etc...I'd be using. All I was asking for was some generic/approximate info, not a scientifically correct answer.

I'm not gonna hold you responsible if it goes south, or tell people that it was you who gave me the bad advise that screwed it up, thereby ruining your rep. Just relax and chill! :p

And thanks for mentioning the County Extension Agent for free info. I'd never heard or known there was such a person available. I'll take advantage from now on.
    Thanks again
  9. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

it floors me that some people make things so difficult on this site, like they did here trying to answer your questions.

first off, is it green or brown? if it is green, 99% chance it is tall fescue. if it is brown, very, very good chance it is dormant bermuda grass. if it has been newly sodded within the past few years, it may be zoysia, but, i would still put my money on bermuda (many more lawns in bermuda than zoysia in your area).

If it is green, you have a cool season lawn. Cool season grasses are most actively growing in the spring and in the fall. That means your fertilizer inputs should also be in the spring and the fall. Fertilizers that are labeled x-x-x give you the percentage Nitrogen-P2O5-K2O. It is great to get a soil test and determine the amount of phosphorous and potassium your soil needs, but your grass's green color and agressive growth is largely dependent on the nitrogen inputs. A tall fescue lawn requires 4-6 pounds of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet a year. Make an application now, and another later in the spring at about 1-1.5 pounds of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet.

If it is brown, it is dormant and you have a warm season turf. No reason to apply fertilizer now, because the nitrogen would be wasted. Wait until the grass greens up. Apply about 4 pounds of nitrogen per 1000 square feet throughout the summer time in 3 to 4 applications, if it is bermuda. Zoysia requirments are slightly lower.

buy your fertilizers at lesco or a supplier rather than ripoff the homeowner scotts products from lowes. the words dimension, etc. are herbicides. a big waste of your money to apply a dimension fertilizer to a warm season turf.

You did not mention weed problems. these would be more difficult to address.

good luck.
  10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

No one is trying to make things complicated unless of course you take into consideration the misuse of this forum. This was originally engineered to be a forum where professionals helped each other. There are other DIYer forums right on this website.

Apparently this website is turning into a "Lesco turns garden center" forum. LOL