1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please dont read and say duh I need an answer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scraps, Sep 25, 2007.

1. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

I just got my mulching plate for my scag wb and put it on. My bud is sayint Let er rip. Im saying no we have to tighten the lock nuts down to the washers. Hes telling me know you dont thats why that are called lock nuts they stay on. Whos right here got about 30 minutes still starting time. Someone please tell. Thanks..........................
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

take the few seconds to tighten them down....
  3. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

they are lock nuts, they will not come off if they are not tightened all the way. But with that said the bolt will not do its job if it is not tight. So tighten them! And when you take the locknuts back off replace them because they wont lock properly the seconded time.
  4. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Lock nuts should be tighten the same as a standard nut. The lock function is there to keep vibration from shaking them loose over time.

Tighen them down.
  5. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

Thank you guys I knew it was a stupid question now let me go hit my buddy upside of his melon. Thanks all and have a great day...................
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

How come toro doesn't put lock nuts on the handles of it's 21 inch mowers?

Even though I duck tape them up, I still end up losing some of those things. I'm thinking I should try this stuff I saw at home depot called thread locker. I think it's just glue you put on the thread.
  7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

That is the exact answer there.... and use the wrench that you tightened them down with on your buddy's head.... :)

8. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

why wouldnt you tighten them.ur buddys never changed a plate before
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

also, if you don't tighten them down all the way and the bolt is vibrating around against the metal it passes through, it will tear the threads up and then you'll have to replace the bolt.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Tighten them down. A lock nut can still come loose from vibration. Also over time the nyloc part will take the shape of the threads and render it useless as a locking nut.