1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

please draw me a

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Feb 24, 2007.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

picture on how to turn my ZTR with out eating the yard up.i have been playing on mine the last few day and the ground is still damp but for some reason it just wants to leave tread mark a little.
  2. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

That's the trouble with them Z-Tracks. Just kiddin'. Make sure you are pulling back on the lever that is on the side you want to turn to and you must slow the other drive wheel to about the same speed. Meaning that the outside drive wheel is only turning slightly faster in forward than the inside drive wheel is in reverse. You just need to keep experimenting. Hope this helps ya.
    And I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the operators on here will have a lot of advice, but, I watch the crews every year and they are out there wide open on one side and maybe in reverse on the other and leaving marks everywhere.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't counter-rotate the inside tire, you're going to leave scuffs for sure. It takes some practice to get it figured out, but when you practice make sure you do it slow first to make sure you're pulling the sticks back past neutral every time, then work on getting up to speed. The speed will come naturally over time, just make sure the motions are perfect every time you make a turn. It took me a while the first time I was on a hydro walkbehind, almost the same concept. I made myself go slow until I had the motions down perfectly, then brought it up to speed.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

A simple way to start out till you get the feel for the mower is the 3 point turn.
  5. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

3 point turn, and keep your inside wheel moving don't let it stop.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

the easiest way to learn is to come to a complete stop at a turn then power out of it withthe outside tire. you will also need to apply power to the inside tire too but not nearly as much. once you can do that, slow down when your about to turn and then just power through the outside wheel rather than slowing up the inside wheel.

maybe all those people making fun of the mowing school should reconcider!
  7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Sell it and get a belt drive WB. If what ur cutting isnt wide open those mowers are garbage.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

A three point K turn is probably the easiest to learn.

Mind you it sounds like your conditions are on the soft and damp side. Leaving no trace of a 1300lb rider in that situation is about hopeless. You can turn as gentle as you please, and never break loose your tires and you can still tear turf from your front castor's turning, or just torque from your rear wheels laterally.

I can put my rider's in nearly any yard and they will mow it. If the conditions are great we can mow it without any damage, but over time the potential for wear increases greatly. The trouble is we don't mow in ideal conditions for to long. Many yards are rarely mowed in those conditions because they are scheduled in the morning when it is damp. What I am getting at is if it is damp, if it is shady, if the turf is stressed, if the lawns are very tight.....you are going to see evidence of that big mower! I don't care what anyone says, there is a trade off to sit on your but and mow grass at high speeds. As was said, riders are really for the wide open areas if quality is your ultimate goal. Putting them in small yards will work, but in most cases the end result will not be as good as it could have been with a walk behind mower.

I hate to say it because we all like to sit, but that is the truth according to my experience and those who work for me.

Good luck
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hahahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read today. Thanks for the humor! :laugh:
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

this is someone else's image they had uploaded here.

Search for it and you will find more help.