Please estimate this for me...pretty EZ fo you guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by augs dad, Feb 16, 2002.

1. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

Did a job this morning that I was light on the estimate by about a half hour...would like to see how many hours you would est on this....20' by 75' bed with 30 ornamental grasses, 20 of them about 6ft high and 3ft wide..different varieties. Other perennials in the bed needed deadheaded and snipped here and there...no big deal on these. Tied the big grasses in the middle then used gas hegeclippers (the fun and easy part). Raked the bed smooth, stacked the big pile for the trash men, and bagged 4, 45 gallon trash bags. I estimated 2 hours...took me 2.5. Your help on a real example helps all of us who worry about getting estimates right for ourselves as well as the client..Thanks much...Gary in PA..ps ...I dont care what your hourly rate is since all of us are different....more imporatnat to know the hours you would est.

2. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Based only upon your labor time....I would charge $80- $100 if it was only you doing the work.

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I agree with Primegreen, about $90.

4. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I would have went with 3 hours from what you discribe to us.

5. This would be like an estimate over the phone.

I would have to see it in person.

6. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

It is most difficult to invision what you are describing. Just like the godfather I wouldn't even give this over the phone. However, that said, 20' x 70' is a big bed for two and a half hours unless it was already in good shape. Gardening is my main stay, and that size bed would take me a lot longer to refurbish then it did you. Don't worry so much about a half hour, just cash the check and move on. Next time you bid a bed add a half hour for every 20 x 70 area and see what happens. Base your estaments more on what you can do rather than what someone else can do, but stay competitive. " not easy for this guy"

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Really don't want a argument on travel time to start... But... you made no mention of it in your post ... Can't estimate this for you ( sight unseen) but I really hate 3 hour jobs ... I try to get half a day... how many times have you done a 3 hour job and you really don't do anything again until after lunch???

8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I would of rounded up, gone with about $100 - $115 depending on travel and all that good stuff.

Hank