Please explain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring is coming and I am dreading the fert and squirt guys pounding the lawns with 1lb of nitrogen fast release per tho in the spring. Those of you that do this why in Gods creation do you use so much fert in the SPRING? This is garbage and harmful to the lawn so please explain.

2. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Get into spraying- that way you can do the lawns you mow and do it right. I'm with you on this. I am getting into spraying this year, so I'll let you know how it goes.

3. Frue

I worked for a company for 7 years and that was my job, I ran that whole division, the owner never had to touch a lawn. I never put that much down maybe on some shade lawns that needed a boost. Since I have been on my own these guys pound them and I never understood that? Maybe I will be enlightend by some of the pros here.:hammerhead:

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The big outfit does it to gain customers through neighbor envy.....

They don't mow, so what do they care?

5. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

You need to post this question on the fertilizing/pesticide forum. I have wondered the same thing and like you, I am dreading all the needless top growth that makes my job that much harder (30% more time to mow, trim and blow-not to mention all the extra gas my mower uses to get thru all that thick grass) It aggravates the **** out of me!:cry:

6. CleanCutProLawn

CleanCutProLawn LawnSite Member

Super green and thick lawns. They look really good but are a pain to maintain. Everybody want to be the first on the block to have the thick green lawn of the spring

7. Frue

Since it has to do with cutting I thought I would post it here. Now know body has an answer? So the firt squirt has no tech reasons.

8. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Some of my commercial customers do that so I just mow twice a week and make double the money. No complaints here.

9. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I have done that too. I tell the homeowner that it is growing too fast (some from over watering plus fertilizer) and I will be coming every 5 days instead of 7- they usually slow it down one way or another.

10. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I had one place last year that I was doing every 3 days. Like I said, I wasn't complaining. Thats like having 2 more big accounts.