please fill me in ......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jun 10, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey,someone/anyone,could you please fill me in on the laws of owning your own business.EVERYTHING from taxes,insurance,and write offs to hiring employees,age restrictions,anything else!Also it would help if you lived in missouri since thats where I'm from but the laws dont change too much state to state,so help me out.and if you're under the age of 18 your advice would be extremely welcome on the "age restrictions" part,since that is one of the biggest things holding me back...and I'd really like to know about the taxes,cause right now,im sotra not claiming anything.heck i don't even have a business license!lol,but im trying to get this business legit,at least im trying,right?Also,don't be afraid to write 30 pages on this,the more info the btter.thanks

:confused:

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search feature since there is alot that you are asking and each one has been talked about...

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, there is no age restriction. Why would there be? I mean, all we are doing is mowing lawns, right? Well, maybe not just mowing, but seriously, there isn't anything that should hold you back if you're younger than 18. I'm going to get my business registered (hopefully) and might get a small insurance plan. I wish I had insurance but I can't afford it like you other guys can. If you can get insurance and get liscened and all the other goodies, go for it! You got money and the will-power to go out and whip the other guys, more power to you! I hope this helped a bit.

4. ya have to be 18 to get legit, or have the business in your folk's names. because you cant sign a contract at this young of an age. getting the business legal, insurance, bank accounts, all that stuff you cant do until you are at least 18, sorry :(

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Im not 18.... I have insurance, a business checking account and have my business registerd.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I was gonna say, you can get a registered business at any age. I want to get a checking account but you have to pay 15% of everything you put in. I guess I'll use cash, or credit if I can get any.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Scag, its not hard, but a bit more to it than paying 15% of what you put in the bank. You will end up in the 15% tax bracket, but have to take out expences first, also dont forget about ss and medicare taxes.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in buisness and i don't have that stuff yet i can;t even drive yet but i have all comercial stuff. If its just neighbors don't worry about it. But if you get serious contact your local goverment.