Please give me advice on my business!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kentuckylawns, Nov 10, 2006.

1. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

I have 4 accounts currently, 2 residential, 2 commercial. Next Year, I am planning to go full time. MY goal by end of february to secure 30 -35 more contracts, by heavy advertising. I need your advice on the best way to get 35 new clients, and the equip i should purchase. I returned from my local exmark/stihl dealer and priced these items as follows. 2 fs90's at 300 each = 600, 1 br 600= $500. i am planning to buy these in the offseason, now my question is hoping i go into next season with 35 accounts, all yards in my area are about 3/4 acre. Do i purchase 2 used walk behinds, maybe 3000 each, or buy 1 brand new turf tracer 48 hydrofloating deck, for about $6000. Please give me advice on landing the new accounts and my equip purchases.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What are you cutting with now--If it is a WB I say keep it and buy new. Have a good mower and save the other for break downs-- which will be rare with the new mower.

How to get accounts -- advertise

3. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

I am cutting only with a 21'' troy bilt, and my crappy sear blower, and trimmer brokedown. And i plan to go full time, that is why i wanna spend the money for quality commercial equip, instad of junk.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The best advice I can give you...is DONT GO FULL TIME!!! If I were you, I'd give it one more season...grow it slow. But if you jump in fulltime HOPING that 35 accounts pop up, then you'll be eating government cheese pretty fast. Even if you service 20 to 30 accounts....with the right equipment you can knock that out in a weekend at least, but of course you'll need better equipment. But seriously...don't quit the steady income yet...you'll regret it.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i have my flyers inserted into a local newspaper, that way i dont have to go door to door, and can hand pick the areas i want it delivered to, its a little expensive but ive gotten great results ....timeing for the ads in your area is critical too.

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I don't know how much you need to bring in to live on. You only know that but I would say that going full-time with 35 accounts is going to leave the wallet skinny.

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Youre EXACTLY right!!

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The cheapest and best in your area is flyers or a big sign on your trailer know how to price work,don't work to cheap.

9. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I also say don't quit your day job just yet.

I'm just PT and got 10 residential accounts and one school system fairly easily this year...I was lucky. Seven of my accounts came by word of mouth.

I'm a fulltime FF and don't really want a bunch more than that. I wouldn't mind 20 accounts, but that's about my max after working every third day and spending time with family.

I also say 30-35 accounts would be hard to live on. I have a $45 minimum and that would equal out to about $5200/month IF they were all weekly accounts. Sounds great until you start paying out taxes, INSURANCE (health, dental, vision, disability), some sort of retirement, etc. This is especially light if you have a family.

Good luck though in whatever decision you make.

10. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

I will never make this a full time thing until I retire from my regular job in 14 years. If for some reason I did lose my job I would probably take about 35-40 lawns a week. I would be doing OK since my wife makes darn good money as a nurse and she could carry me on her health ins if we needed to. ABout all I would have besides business expenses is uncle sam grabbing his portion and paying into an IRA. Not to mention the wife and I do not live extravagantly(choose not to) and we have a timetable to be debt free in three years(mortgage included)