1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please give me guidance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnmogul, May 24, 2008.

1. lawnmogul

lawnmogul LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I am a professional auto detailer now so i know how to work hard and make little money lol.Here is the problem as i look around i see very few mobile detailers making any money they can retire on ok only 2 i know of in the US.People just dont care about having there cars done and i want something i can build and not have to push wax when i am 60:dizzy:

1. I love selling and marketing( I Like the idea of sell it once and service it for life)

2. Can i retire to a sales position in 10-13 yrs if i work hard.

3. Is it possible to make a good living $75,000.00 take home at lawn care and landscaping or are the profit margins to low I dont care what gross is it is what i put in my pocket that is important to me to determine if it is viable business.

4.I live in Dallas,Texas 2 kids and wife and very very hungry to make money.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Its all very possible.
  3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if you are hungry enough there is enough business to make as much as you want,if you don't mind working your ass off.doesn't sound like much of a retirement though.
  4. lawnmogul

lawnmogul LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Well i will never retire just want something i can Have a chance to grow and see a return on the hard work.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's the same problems here, a ton of competition and low prices and instead of pushing wax you'll push a mower or a wheel barrow, what's the difference? And if you think there don't exist customers who don't care about the lawn well we got ourselves more than a few of them too, not saying they're all like that but it's all the same thing.

We can not change the world but other than the fact I know as little about your business as you do mine I could do as well (or as poorly however you want to take that) in either detailing or landscaping. We have great customers and problem customers and those who pay ahead of time and those who never pay, now I'm not going any deeper other than to say it's all the same crap man lol

On that note, if you're so good at marketing...
    Maybe you're "selling" too much, trying too hard...?
    Try just being yourself, maybe, I don't know.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is also a matter of perspective, and appreciating what we have...
    Some days I fail miserably at that too, I just forget that even if life sux right now it COULD be worse, a LOT worse!
    I'm not in prison, I'm not homeless, I'm not starving in Africa, so maybe I just don't know how good I got it.

As far as being hungry?
    I thrive on hunger, I get OFF on that crap and I mean literally.
    Something like billions of pounds of overweight lard in America, that says to me gluttony and sloth is rampant in a country where all they do is drive around in their gas guzzlers and then complain about the price and employers and government failing to properly support them... Yeah you heard me, they EXPECT Uncle Sam and their bosses to throw money their way!
    For what, to be bailed out yet again, so they can keep driving around and stuffing their faces.
    Man, we could FUEL our cars for a YEAR on the pounds of FAT in this country!
    Not saying this is you, but it sure applies to more than a few folks, that extra weight even affects their fuel economy.
    So... It serves them right, me too thou, we're a generation of spoiled brats always been given everything on a silver platter, and now we're paying the price so the sooner we all wake up, the better.

How about a kick in the butt?
    That always sets me straight.

You want more money?
    Set your cooling thermostat at 81 in the summer, heating 64 in the winter.
    Too hot? Wear shorts and a T-shirt.
    Too cold? Wear a sweater.
    That is, learn to live within your means.

Because if you can't live on what you're earning, then there is no job in the world that will earn you enough! So for example if you're earning 20g a year and you can't survive on that then it doesn't matter if you earned 100g's a year you would STILL never have enough money.
    Because would you believe there are still folks surviving on 12g's a year?
    Yup, sure are.

Might not be the guidance you were expecting, but it's how I see things.