Please give me some Tips

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bigkyle, Aug 19, 2007.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

So after many thought on this i have decided to really push the fert buisness. What i am looking for is any info anyone can give me about starting up and getting clients. By the way i do know you need to be certified to put weed killer and what down so i will be getting that. Just looking for info that you have learned over the years in Buis. Basically up here in rochester NY i will have to compete with big companies such as TrueGreen and Scotts. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi dude -- visit your local LESCO guys. They will tell you what the 'other guys' use and when. Your'e in the same zone as me (I bought a Dodge Challenger in LeRoy, NY recently), so I know you experience the same probs as I do. Rely on LESCO or another reliable source close by.

3. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

Thanks i am going to have to go talk to them def

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

if its just you vs the big guys customer service is the key. you will grow fast...get ready to hire good people!

5. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

Well there are about 3 or 4 smaller companies as well

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Oh yes, another tip.....Saturdays are great for drumming up residential customers. Wear a clean uniform. Drive a clean "company" truck with logos/decals on it. Shake hands with homeowners, and tell them who you are. Let 'em know you are a local guy and that you are honest and caring.

Whenever you have a slow time during the week, visit commercial properties and ask them if they'll take a bid. Make sure you don't bid on anything too big.

Hard work + long hours = you will be sucessful. Good luck.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Never say what it "IS" and be wrong.............