please give your opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbanks23, Apr 28, 2004.

1. mbanks23

mbanks23 LawnSite Member

I dont post much but i would like to post this and see what you guys have to say on this. Some of you may have heard this but yesterday in atlanta, ga (fayetteville to be exact), a man walked in a dentist office and shot his wife, who was a patient, then turned the gun on himself. Both died in route to the hospital. This is bad enough happening this close to home. The reason im posting this is, I cut the grass for the this married couple. I knew the guy really really well. It is rather upsetting. But, they are scheduled to be cut TODAY. Do i go cut their yard, do i wait? I dont know im at odds over this one. They also owe for half this month too. Do i bill them, or do i just let it go? I dont know what to do, so please help. I dont think i will cut today but i may ride by.
    thanks mike

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sorry to hear that,but how do you bill dead people?I think the lawn is the last thing they're worried about right now.
    Or am I really mis-understanding this post?

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

That is a tragic event.
    I would probably mow the lawn, jsut to help out the rest of the family, to give them one less thing to worry about.
    When things like this happen, it makes you appreciate your life a bit more, and how much is it going to really cost you to help their relatives, maybe an hour's time.
    Just my opinion. I'd mow it, and not hassle the family. They will probably respond to your normal billing, as they'll have to take care of the property in some way.

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Oh,so the family is going to be responsible.Don't know about that one.That's a weird case.SInce the deaths occured yesterday,I'd try to put off the mowing today though.
    There will be people at the home.Maybe investigators,family members,etc.,,
    Give it about 3-4 days if you can.The funerals should be over by then.
    Just my .02.
    Wow.That is a strange one to figure out.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, thats tough. However I would carry on as usual. Cut it and send bill as usual untill ecsecutor of estate notifies you and tells differently. Good luck mbanks, not a pleasant task

6. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well I would mow it out of good faith, you may have to bite this one, but bill them and maybe whomever takes care of their estate will pay you. It is tragic that this happened but the family has other thing to worry about now. Send your condolences to the family.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Just be ready for the possible delay in receiving payment. In the past, when I have "billed the estate", it sometimes took months to get payment. I always got paid, it just took a long time.

I would keep mowing until told otherwise.

8. themowingguy

themowingguy LawnSite Member

I usually make it a habit to give my customers one free mowing if a death occurs in their immediate family.just my way of saying sorry.they usually appreciate that as much as anything else you could do.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Mow it!! Then put a lean on the prop. Then you can cry.
    John

10. I agree with all the others that said to keep mowing.
    I've done this a couple of times when my client has died.
    Your checks will have the clients name followed by: etal.
    It may take them some time to set this up so be patient.
    I mowed for one family three years after their father died.
    Every one of his children personally thanked me for the continued lawn care.

Dave