1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please help a homeowner decide...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JasonNC, Aug 15, 2004.

1. JasonNC

JasonNC LawnSite Member
    from NC

I hope I'm not intruding with this post, but you guys are the pros and I don't think I can find better information from anyone else.

I live just outside of Nashville, NC and I have a 2 year old home with a Fescue lawn (mix of K31 and Rebels III). I have been overrun with crabgrass for the last 2 years and I am considering converting my grass to a warm season variety. Considering that I have almost 2 acres of lawn, what would you do ?

1) Stick with the Fescue - overseed this fall with improved varieties, such as Rebels Exceda and the Confederate Blend.

2) Convert to a warm season grass, such as Centipede or Zoysia (if I choose this option I will kill the Fescue in the spring with RoundUp and seed with either Zenith Zoysia or TifBlair Centipede).

I do not have an irrigation system, but I can water regularly during the germination period. I am leaning towards going with a conversion to Centipede or Zoysia, but I cannot decide between the two. I am concerned about the maintenance of the Zoysia but I also have concerns with the durability of the Centipede and being able to keep it green and not purple or red, so I am interested in hearing what you think is better between the two.

Thanks for helping out.
  2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck with roundup on 2 acres.. lol that should be alot of fun

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Personally, I would overseed this fall, and apply a good pre-emergence next spring. Then see how that pans out.

I'm not familiar with centipede. My parents have zoysia in their front lawn, it looks nice, doesn't grow fast, doesn't brown out during a drought. The only problem with it, if you have any weeds or stray fescue growth it destroys the whole look of it.

The problem with new lawns is the roots aren't well established. This makes the lawn more susceptible to drought and disease (and weeds and crabgrass). My two cents worth, overseed then pre-em next spring, and see where you are a year from now.