Please help a rookie kill wild violet and white clover

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clydesdale, Jul 15, 2011.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have these two weeds, (and one other unidentified weed that I will need help later with), and need to get rid of these. Can you tell me what I need to do? Thank you.

2. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Easy fix...do a search on here...I know what I use on my own lawn (use a search)

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

clyde, you a homeowner?
    If so, contact a local LCO and they will handle it for you.

If not, use a product with Triclopyr for those weeds. TZone is what I am using.
    Imprelis absolutely SMOKES those tough-to-kills but it is in deep poo right now.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Drive XLR does rather well on clover and wild violet, include surfactant. Perhaps alternate 7 days apart with a product containing triclopyr and dicamba.

5. bx24

from MA/TX

I tried Drive (old gran stuffl; 1lb bottle) and it sucked on my own lawn..went to a product with "triclopyr + clopyralid" and smokes it...YMMV

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've had great results with a spot mix of Drive XLR8 and Surge. I just hit the patches that survived from a strait application of Surge earlier in the season.

I've never had that problem. Even in some of the worst CG, the existing grass stays green.

7. bx24

from MA/TX

I still have one bottle left of the drive and I am done. It works but you need to apply a sticker or the oil and twice for certain weeds. For CG, never wored all that good for me; but, I think I did apps to thin..

The kicker is the new Drive XLR8 is cheaper then the old, at least for me.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Drive won't work well unless you've got the right surfactant for it. I use Match-Up for it as recommended by my supplier.

I did 3000 square feet yesterday of almost solid CG and all but one little strip I missed was light yellow.

Even when it rains the residual kicks in for even better results.

I think last year I goofed and only put 1/3 the rate on 1 acre and didn't get a complete kill, but excellent stunting and control.

9. bx24

from MA/TX

I used a sticker and MO and nothing...I have (1) bottle left and will skip it next time.Dim2 works better and cheaper. And for weeds, hell, there are better products out there....

10. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

yea , but its no longer labeled for residential