1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please Help....blade Grinders/sharpeners!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr mow, May 16, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

[/COLOR]im looking to get a blade sharpener grinder in the next couple of weeks, my budget is $500 on the very high end. I have 2 commercial mowers a 52" stand on (gd) and a 36" wb(gd). i dont want to have to buy a grinder for atleast 5-7 yrs. I would like to be sharpenning every day even though im part-time(just me)...just planning for future sort of medium term. ive looked at oregon grinders and rgb grinders online. oregon seems to have a pretty bad website and they are not really selling me, but its you guys(yank!) i want to hear from. what are you using and what are the pros and cons of others. Thanks in advance!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in my 5th year and I've used angle grinders since day 1.

My first was a Dewalt, an expensive 50-dollar mistake because 3 years later when the wheel was worn to where it needed replacing, it was on there so good I could NOT get it off!

The next one I got cost 20 dollars for a Chicago Electric at Harbor Freight.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldnt waste your money on a $500 grinder . i just use a craftsman bench grinder that was only $60 and i sharpen about 12 sets a blades a week.
  4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Man, you were ripped off (lol) on that Harbor grinder !!!!

I got the same one for $17.00. Works great !! When it quits, I'll buy another one. :usflag:
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 20 year old craftsman industrial angle grinder that will never stop running.
  6. mr mow

jkoopers just curious ..have you ever used a commercial grinder,ever worked for abig lawn care company...how often do you sharpen
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on using the angle grinder....hard to use bench grinder on mulch blades and on hedge trimmers and angle grinder can be used for a lot of other things.
  8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i love my rgb blade grinder. used a angle grinder before but the blade grinder is so much faster and easier. i have the big one, 1 hp but the rgb or neary 1/2 hp is a good grinder.
  9. mr mow

yeah i not into the idea of using an angle grinder. i do this parttime on top of a fulltime job and you include maintence.....i would still like to have a social life.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure what you mean....if you are dong this part time then I wonder why you would put $500 in a bench grinder?