1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Can you identify this Scott's Lawn Tractor Model?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cgentri, Apr 11, 2008.

1. cgentri

cgentri LawnSite Member
    from NC

:dizzy: You wouldn't believe how hard this is. The short story is...I bought this lawn tractor off Craig's list. (first mistake) The Model # tag under the seat is gone. There is no more Scott's Mower Company..The Murray company that made this lawn tractor says without the #...they wont be able to tell me the model number either...and John Deere...the new manufacturer of the Scott's brand says the old tractor info didn't ever get to them! (I've already tried to use the engine Serial/model number as a back-track..but that's no help)

So I can't get a manual, or any details on how to fix this thing! here's what I do have..

(about a 1998) Scott's Riding "cruise control" Mower, 15 HP Kohler "Command" Engine, 42 " cut

...any ideas? Thanks for any replies. Chris

2. cgentri

cgentri LawnSite Member
    from NC

For some reason...that was the first question I was asked by Murray and John Deere. Thanks!

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it may be the same as the sears craftsman of the time.....

always buy from the best dealer in your area...... it will be worth it....:usflag:

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If it's that old, it's probably a Murray. See below for the Murray Story.

They have no parts (NONE!) for anything older than the 2004 model year.

The Murray Story:

Murray USED TO make a halfway-decent mower (pre-1987). Then they got the mentality that they need more market share. Started selling in the Big-Box stores.
    At this time Troy-Bilt went Bankrupt. Murray bought the chipper side of Troy-Bilt (MTD got the other stuff). Gi-normous chipper lawsuit follows. To stay afloat, Murray needs to make a whole crap-load of stuff to sell to cover their debts. Briggs & Stratton sends them engines on credit. Worse comes to worst and the note comes due. Murray does not have the capital to pay the debt, and B&S assumes the company. While shipping all remaining stock from Tennesee to Wisconsin, parts stock is depleted at the distributor level, causing "factory backorders", sometimes for a year. B&S decides to stop all production of parts for older units (2004 year) and "plan for the future".

I used to work in a dealership that sold Murray units. We had a 2003 tractor come in for parts. Had to tell the guy to junk it. He was P-O'ed, to say the least.

Long story short - Dump this P.O.S.

5. frustrated

frustrated LawnSite Member

without a model number or anything to properly identify it, the model is one I affectionately know as "parts".

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What was your exact position at this dealership?

7. ots

ots LawnSite Member

ITS WAS MADE buy john deer. I have a scotts 17 hp 42" cut . the # s 1742 . l2ook up the john deer web site under scotts s 1542 .Jd made scotts up in till 2003.

8. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

This thead is two years old, I'm sure he got the problem taken care of.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the information. Been wondering who made it.