Please Help! EX mark or SCAG?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petergrass, Jan 23, 2011.

1. petergrass

petergrass LawnSite Member

I am not a commercial lawn mowing guy -but you never know I could be - I have 5 acres in a class A floodway and the grass grows real quick and thick - our property can also be very bumpy - it is not a suburban yard at all. For 14 mowing seasons I had a John Deere GT 275 Garden Tractor with a 48" mulching deck. When we closed on the place in 1997 I was under alot of pressure and needed a mower fast so I went to the local JD dealership. Now I have time and I can buy what I want like a ZTR - an option I did not have in 1997. I should also point out that I love cutting the grass - to me its fun.

After some research I have narrowed it down to SCAG and EXMARK. I am going to buy a commercial unit just so I can have something rugged that will last me a long time - I have been know to bump into a tree or two when mowing. And I am also tired of large repair bills that I have gotten on the JD in the last three years. How in the world am I suppose to choose between SCAG or Exmark? I like them both and I am only allowed to buy one! And Advise?

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

What dealer will give better service is a big factor. What models are you looking at?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. petergrass

petergrass LawnSite Member

I got the local dealer who sells both - ironically two doors down from the JD dealership! Honestly in 1997 I thought a guy was suppose to buy a JD! Now i know better after talking to alot of commercial guys - its funny you never see a commercial guy with a JD do you? - I am looking at 61" decks - not sure on exact models - but will have it narrowed down to exact models this week.

4. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks LawnSite Senior Member

I've always heard that exmark has a higher blade RPM, which means a better cut! I've also ran scags and they are really well built in my opinion. Around my area we see more exmark then scag.

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I hear many things and you heard bs!

If you can spend 10k buy a turf tiger with a 35hp briggs. Best bang for your buck and if you get behind in the thick stuff you will have plenty of pwr to cut it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Gravelyftw

Gravelyftw LawnSite Member

we have a big company around here that uses JDs with rear steer.

7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer of 15+ years sells Toro and Scag. He sold me on Scag from the start, very happy with the machines over the years. They really are tanks and cut well.

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

In terms of build quality, Scag IS the best product out there. In terms of cut quality, Exmark has that one nailed (Ultracut Series 4 deck). I've cut with both. If you are mowing nice residential lawns weekly you will not be able to tell a difference (especially on fescue), except that the Exmark stripes better. Once you start cutting fields, weedy grass, or overgrown turf--the Scag will stand out as the better machine. Their velocity deck disperses clippings much better. Also, the better build quality of the Scag means a higher weight. It will be more prone to leave ruts on soft ground.

9. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have both and i think the exmarks stripe better. in my area their are more scags than exmarks and both dealers are varry close to each other. go and demo each then make youre choice. i think what ever you decide you will be happy with.

10. por911

por911 LawnSite Member

I have a similar situation as the original poster. I have my choices narrowed down to a Kubota ZD331 or a Scag TT 28Cat diesel and am having a difficult time making my decision. Leaning toward Scag right now, never considered Exmark.