Please help I.D. & eliminate . . . .

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EMWEB, Jul 6, 2006.

1. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Yes I know my yard is horrible . . . But I'm attempting to get it into shape . .

Between not knowing what I am doing, the drought & weeds . . . I am in need of help...

Please look at the weed pictures that appear to be causing the problem most apparent to me . . .

I am in Louisiana - St. Augustine Grass - any ideas how to get rid of this... My neighbor says it is "crab" grass . . . Most of my neighbors go around with a shovel digging the pods / patches up . . . gotta be a better way . . .:confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Picture 071.jpg

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 073.jpg

Picture 074.jpg

Picture 075.jpg

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Your neighbor is right! its crabgrass.. you can spray it with MSMA, or better yet get some Tri-Mec plus. it has Msma in it and it will help control all your broad leaf weeds too. after you get it under control you need to core aerate and over-seed and fertilize. but wait until early Sept. to help control the crab grass next year use a fertilizer with Pre-m to keep the Crabgrass from germinating!

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

While herbicides such as MSMA would certainly be helpful in controlling some of the grassy weeds in your St. Aug. it also looks like the turf could benefit from a good fertility program. St. Aug. is an aggressive grower and generally responds well to fertilization. This would likely thicken the lawn and provide competition for the weeds and improve the overall health and appearance of your lawn. Since grassy weeds thrive in sunny areas it appears you have adequate sunlight to support good turf. If you are uncertain on how to properly treat the lawn yourself, consult a local lawncare professional.
    One other thing. Professionals with experience almost never use phrases such as "eliminate", "eradicate", or "kill" to describe a recommended service. Just like the labels of all pesticides state, "control" is a more responsible description. This sets more realistic expectations and helps curb the mindset of "If a little bit of this stuff is good then a bunch more should work fantastic!" that pervades most homeowner's thinking.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

If your gonna spray with msma or trimec you better be ready for resodding they will KILL St augustine.

5. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Since you are from this area . . .Florida St. Augustine / Louisiana St. Augustine . . . I assume the circumstances would be similar . . .

What would you Florida guys do to remedy this situation . . . .

Thanks
    Steve

6. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Olive is right. Do not use MSMA on St Augustine or Centipede. I'm not trying to rude here but your lawn looks like S**T! I couldn't see any St. Augustine or Crabgrass. I did see Dallisgrass in you lawn. There isn't any herbicide that I know of that will control Dallisgrass in St. Augustine. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking dalisgrass or broadleaf signalgrass the problem is there really isnt anything yo can spray in st augustine to control grasses. there are few exceptions but few. if it looks bad roundup and replace now is the time. Take advantage of then rainy season then next year use barricade as a preventive

8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's dalisgrass which is a perrenial. Round-up.

9. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

Building on what pro lawns said, The weed is Dallis grass, since msma will kill your st aug, and probably not kill the Dallis grass in one application you could make would be 2% solution of roundup with a little extra sticker. First fertilize the piss out of the lawn, water thoroughly and wait for the lawn to green up and start growing so it will recover quicker. Mow it for a couple of weeks to get it spreading and filling in. On the third week don't mow it, wait a couple more days for the lawn to get overgrown and with a real fine spray on your pump up strayer carefully wet the leaves of the dalisgrass down and be careful to get as little as possible on the st. aug, wait 2-3 days and mow, fertilize and water.

Good luck,be patient and you can clean it up without destroying everything.

10. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

Looks like your turf is suffering from winter kill. You can spray vantage (sethoxydim) to eliminate the grassy weeds.