Please Help! I need advise on Stihl equipment...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vikingcompany, Oct 2, 2006.

1. vikingcompany

vikingcompany LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I am gearing up a lawn mowing business for next spring and need your advice on trimmers and blowers. I am thinking of making a new purchase of two Stihl FS 100 RX trimmers ($329.95 U.S. each) and one Stihl BR 600 Backpack blower ($479.95). I have been out of the industry since '95 and so need to know if this equipment is good or I should be warned off buying it. I am also getting a total discount of $33.00 U.S. because i am buying 3 items.

Is the pricing fair and is the equipment good for day in and day out use.
    Thanks a bunch. I have gotten great answers to my previous ?'s and really appreciate it.

Also as far as fuel transport goes I need some advise. I am hiring guys for my crew and so need as safe a way as possible for filling mowers without spillage. I came up with this gas caddy idea: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...uctDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=9950&R=9950

because you can really control the amount of fuel that comes out. However it says right on the description not to transport in a vehicle. I am wondering if I can retrofit it with a screwable lid so that I can transport it in my cube van safely. Does anyone use a system like this? If now what do you guys use besides a just the regular fuel cans in the back?

2. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

i would buy the stihl. as for the gas thing. i like the idea but damn.

3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

However it says right on the description not to transport in a vehicle.

the answer is right there... look elsewhere.
    There are systems that can be transported availiable for trailers but I dont know about inside a van. (I hate having fuel inside a vehicle with me) The Temp increase on a hot day will force a lot of fumes out and one misteak will make for a very bad day.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yeah.. you shouldn't be transporting any fuel container inside a closed vehicle. I'd warn you off of the Todd unit though. Look at the Handy Industries unit. All steel construction, plus comes with the pump. It's the same price as the Todd one but you have to spend another $80 on the pump for the Todd. We have the 15 gallon version of the Todd one that we use in our shop and it's difficult to move over uneven ground because the "wheel base" is so narrow it makes it unstable.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I had a stihl FS100RX, helluva trimmer. It was stolen earlier this year but until then I had about a year and a half on it and it really was a top performer for normal maintenance. The 4-mix has great torque down low and is much quieter than comparable 2strokes. I replaced it with an FS130R and it is a beast in comparison but completely unnessesary for normal maintenance. The 130 is smoother than the 100 was due to the solid vs flex drive shaft but overall I would buy another FS100RX in a heartbeat. Very light unit considering all of the power it has.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR600 is an excellent blower, fast starts, excellent fuel consumption,lighter than the competition .The BR600 fuel consumption is better than the other competitive blower's in it's class level. And any power difference between the BR600 and the other top blowers, is minimal. The fs100 is an excellent trimmers, fairly light and possesses low down grunt power. Both are excellent products,the 4-Mix is an excellent engine,and has proven itself in our operation ,by putting in many long hard hours.

7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a hand truck and a fuel pump like on the gas caddy for under 100$ and then go to your local car wash and ask them if they will give you one of their empty used plastic barrels the soap came in. Instant gas caddy for under 100$ and you can use it whereever you want!

The stihl stuff is good stuff, especially their blowers.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY!

If you were to be caught by the right people transporting/storing gas in a container not made/labeled for gasoline, I bet that guy wouldn't show up to pay your fine.

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl power products are very good. That is all that I own. I have the FS90 Trimmer, FC100 Edger and the BR600 Blower. I also have a KM90 (FS90 engine) with the 20" Hedger Attachment on it. I love all of these tools. Most of the time, they start up easily (1-2 pulls). Sometimes a little more, but I never worry about if they will start or not. BR600 is a beast of a blower, you will be happy with it.

As for the fule transfer, take a look at this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317034_200317034. I have just ordered one and am awaiting its arrival. It is gravity feed, but I am going to put it in the truck bed and it is higher than the fill for the Z or Walkbehind. And I can fill the 2-stoke cans from it. I will let everyone know how I like it.

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, don't listen to me! When the gas jug police pull you over - you know that happens often doesn't it? - you might get a ticket!!!! Yeap, there is something about Red plastic jugs that make them better than blue plastic jugs..... :hammerhead: