1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please help... I need your advice and opinions!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

As many of you know, I am a young adult very interested in the Green Industry. I have a very successful business going for me, and plan on doing this forever; it's what I truly love to do. Lately though, I have had some problems with time. I am trying to manage a relatively large business (that is growing at a very fast rate), while also taking a full load of horticulture and other classes in college. Things are starting to stress me out really bad, I’ve only been getting about 4-5 hours of sleep each night because I have been doing something related to the business or school (often times having to sacrifice one thing in order to do the other) and quite frankly I’m becoming very physically stressed do to no sleep. Here’s the main question… something that is also bothering me because I understand the importance of a good education now days, and really don’t mind school at all. I am considering (after this semester) in January not going back to school for a semester and concentrating fully on the business. Do you think this is a smart idea? It’s not a matter if I can make money or not, it’s a matter of doing something I really love to do and concentrating on it. It’s also not a problem with me finding the work; I already have enough work for 40-45 hours each week (I consider myself full time) and often times I am turning it away. I guess the hardest thing for me is knowing that when I leave school that I may never go back (even though I say I will), and may regret not having the degree down the road. What would you do? If I end up staying in school and finishing it out I am thinking about going solo again and cutting back on everything but about 25-30 of my best paying residential yards, but if I don’t continue with school I might even add another person and about 10 or so more yards. Please give me all the advice that you can, and lead me in the direction that you feel is best for a 20 year old who plans to stay in this industry the rest of his life.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you do that I promise you that you will also then always find a reason to never go back and finish. Even though it is hard, do both and finish college also. Even if you are going to NC'sMistake.... :p GO HEELS!
  3. 95tsgr

95tsgr LawnSite Member

I have to agree, if you put your education on hold now...you will always find a reason later to keep putting it on hold. If you must make a sacrifice, drop some of your accounts, down to a managable number that will still give you a decent income, but not continue to drain you mentally and physically (lack of sleep). Do not sacrifice your education....you will regret it later I can promise you that. One thing is for certain...lawns will always need to be mowed, so the work will always be there. Just my advice!
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I started way late and regret it, I even changed my degree from horticulture to business and some day maybe I will go back and finnish my hort. degree. Take fewer classes or internet courses to flex time better. I even took so courses by mail before I got a good computer. What will you do if you are unable to perform physical labor some day? At least you'd have the knowlege to do other things in the office. You might have to scale it back some, slow saeason is around the corner, hire some help if you have to for now. Cuts profits but keeps clients.
  5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Why cant you hie two guts to mow for you and go to school. When school is done you can take it over again. JMO
  6. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

My hope for you is that you finish school, at least a bachelors. You will never regret the degree, even if you don't use it. Carpe Diem "Seize the day", Use this time in your young life to lay the groundwork for your future. Finish your degree even if you have to cut back on your lawn Business.

In 1989, I was a Junior in College and wanted to quit for
  7. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

Let's try this again. In 1989 I was a Junior in College and wanted to quit for 1 year to go "Find Myself". Looking back it is a godsend that I did not take a break from School. I do know now that I would not have likely found my way back.

Complete your schooling young man! You deserve it. Give yourself permission to take as many breaks as you want after you receive your degree.