please help identify these mower parts to help inside

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by akgarrett62, Jul 1, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

Honda engine, by the way, on a Troy-Bilt 21" push mower...about 1yr old.

on the one pic at the bottom of the page showing the closeup of the "gold" colored piece (you can see on the right of it where i took off the air filter) , is that the carb or is the carb behind the shiny silver cover that has the OHV on it? on that same pic, the bowl looking piece at the bottom of it (it has a bolt on the left side of it and also another one on the bottom of it) is that the carb bowl that i can remove to check what the inside of it looks like? do i have to remove both of those bolts to remove that piece?

on the other pic showing the spark plug, and the silver OHV cover, and that adjustment part to the right of the spark that something i can adjust at's not the part connected to the cable that pulls when you push down the handle to start the mower, that one is on the other end of the engine.

thanks for looking.

mower pic3.jpg

mower pic4.jpg

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

That is the carburetor.

The cover with the letters OHC (over head cam) is covering the Cam and valves.

The angled nut is the drain, the bottom holds the bowl onto the carb.

That appears to be your choking mechanism. Why are you taking this apart?
  3. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

it is losing power...after i mowed for about 20 minutes last night, it started quitting on me (losing power to the point it finally died). i could pull the cord and get it to restart but then it would just die again after 1-2 seconds. wanted to check the bowl for possibility. any ideas if there is a fuel filter on these?

is that choking mechanism something i can adjust by moving it, or does it always stay in that one sport?
  4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly if your not that mechanically inclined you will get in worse trouble. What you have is a dirty carb. May or may not be able to clean it. Replacing it will fix.