1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please help identify this weed and how to kill. Thanks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clydesdale, Jul 17, 2011.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have this weed in my parents lawn. It showed up this year and has been very aggressive. Can you please identify it and help me get rid of it?

2011_0717bmwtimingbelt0098.jpg

2011_0717bmwtimingbelt0099.jpg

2011_0717bmwtimingbelt0100.jpg

2. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I think it is Healall. Does it have a purple flower?

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

drought stress-o-rama. Looks as dry as many of the lawns around here. I didn't think y'all were having a problem with lack of rainfall like us.

4. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

We really aren't yet. Maybe it is the pics, but the lawn is still green. Some dry spots, but not terrible. Last year was MUCH worse. We could use some rain, but lawns are still mostly green.

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

My quess,

smooth pigweed (Amaranthus hybridus)

preemergent in spring or 24-D in summer

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Lesco's Three-Way is labeled for pigweed. However there is a precaution to spraying in the heat or drought and stressed turf. Read the label on amount. Don't mow for a few days after spraying. I would water the lawn and pull them. Hogs do like to eat them as I remember or they would make great compost. At any cost do not let them bloom and go to seed or next year you'll have tenfold pigweeds.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic