Please Help! John Deere Z720A vs. Gravely XDZ160

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thndrlight, Aug 17, 2010.

1. thndrlight

thndrlight LawnSite Member

I'm in a spot where I have a certain budget and can get the best deals on these two mowers. I like them both but have heard things about both of them. There are pro's and con's for both and just can't make up my mind. I have five acres that I mow and I am hoping to use it for light commercial next year, nothing to heavy duty.
    The new exmarks and scags are out of my range. The local bad boy dealer won't move on price and told me two weeks before they get one in. Any and all help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

2. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

Both good mowers. I own a Z710 with a 23 hp kohler. I believe the 720 uses a 25 kohler. I think the 720 was around 7,200 here. If you have a JD dealer close and they are good to deal with, I think the 720 would be a good purchase.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Just go with whatever dealer treats you best. I really like deere equipment and think they make a very tough mower. You can't beat the 7iron decks either.

If the dealer is good, go with JD. I think your closest dealer is Tri-County equipment? which is a gold star dealer.

4. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

I have looked at the 700 series a little and have also looked at the Z445 with the 54" deck. The Z445 is a residential mower but it has a Kawasaki motor and larger rear drive tires than the 700 series. I understand the Z445 also has comercial style pump and wheel motors. The price is less and I wonder if it would stand up as well as the 700 series commercial.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. kubotafan

I have looked at the 700 series a little and have also looked at the Z445 with the 54" deck. The Z445 is a residential mower but it has a Kawasiki motor and larger rear drive tires than the 700 series. I understand the Z445 also has comercial style pump and wheel motors. The price is less and I wonder if it would stand up as well as the 700 series commercial.

6. thndrlight

thndrlight LawnSite Member

Both of the mowers are at the same dealer, in Corunna, about twenty minutes away. He wasn't pushy toward one or the other, just seemed to be interested in getting me in something I will be happy with. Just not sure what to do....

7. kubotafan

Error to correct - The Z445 has the same size rear drive tires as the 700 series, but the Z465 has larger rear drive tires.

8. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

z445 with high capacity deck is fascinating. Keep in mind the weight diff. z445 about 760lbs; 7 series about 1200lbs. BIG difference there!! if you are careful ,the 445 will work great. if you start hitting things or don't mind waiting 3 days after a rain to cut, i'd go with the 700 series. I love that little 445 with the 9-gauge deck though. It also has the same spindles as the 700 series, and the guys at my JD dealership are reporting very few problems with the 445 HC deck vs the 425 or 445 with standard homeowner deck.

9. kubotafan

I know there is a big difference in weight, but my thinking is that the lighter machine is a plus if it will still do the job on much the same length of time. I have only used a residential Toro on one lawn so don't have a lot of experience with zero turns. I am wondering what I would really have to lose with a Z445 over a 700 series.

10. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go with a Deere, definetaly get the 700 series, not the residential 400 series. You have a bulletproof mower deck in the 710 and 720. Good luck.