Please help makeing my Groundcover Healthy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cloey, Apr 14, 2006.

1. cloey

cloey LawnSite Member

Hi, I am a new Homeowner and have not had a lot of experience with different types of weedkillers and fertilizers and such. In the front and on the sides of my home I have a Vine type Groundcover that is pretty common around here in Mississippi. I have seen it in many places looking very plush green and nice. Mine currently has a lot of areas that are looking unhealthy. Below is a closeup pic of the type of groundcover I'm referring to.

[​IMG]

Last year I used a fertilizer on it i believe was a 13-13-13. It greened up pretty nice but it also went crazy with weeds. My main question is this. What can i put on this to destroy all of the weeds that come up yet not hurt the vines/groundcover? I want to green it up and make it nice and plush. I don't have any flowers or anything in it that would be hurt. Just some shrubs and some decorative grass patches ive always referred to as monkey grass... no idea if that is what it is really called. Pic below.

[​IMG]

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Normally this Jasmine does well on normal fertilize that you put on the lawn. I wonder about your soil? Maybe you might need to get some good rich top soil or compost. And usually most weeds will be overcome by the Jasmine. You might go to HomeDepot and ask them for a premergent to help control weeds.

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Jasmine? It looks to me like periwinkle (vinca minor). Does it bloom blue in the Spring? If yes, it's periwinkle and you can use FusiladeII on it (labelled for it) to control grassy weeds.

4. cloey

cloey LawnSite Member

This does not bloom at all. Its just a leafy vine really. And yes the fert I used the 13-13-13 did green it up pretty good last year... but it didn't make this stuff overcome the weeds for sure. Weeds were sending me Christmas cards at the end of the year thanking me for the food... lol. I did use a weed control product last year. I really wish i remember what it was. It did pretty good on the weed problems in my yard (another fight im having) But the product seemed to really weaken my vines/groundcover. It started having trouble growing back when i would do my normal trimming around it. And just started looking find of sickly in general.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The plant is Asiatic jasmine and you can use the fusillade to kill the grasses and not the plant, and usually the plant is vigorous enough to overtake most weeds. It will take cutback very well. Don't be afraid to dig out that clump of monkey grass, the jasmine will fill in quickly. Its a lot like a creeping turf if you don't prune it you get these really long single strands. But start pruning it and it really will begin to fill in bare spots. Push it with a high nitrogen fert to fill in.

6. cloey

cloey LawnSite Member

Is "The Fusillade" some brand of product? I thought it was rapidly fire bullets into something? :usflag: lol... nah really is that a product or some technique or something?

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Fusilade II is an herbicide. Not sure if they are making it any more, though. To bad if they aren't, it was a great product. Call your local Lesco and ask them.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It just looks like new growth to me that will green-up to your standards of green as it gets older.