please help me be fair

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my accountant charges $150 per hr to correspond with the state or govt, on my behalf, should the need arise. he charges a minimal fee for each visit i make, each phonecall i make, and for anything he has to do for me. understood. ok, he screwed up a few things over the yrs. then, he charges, to make it right. this time, i bout had it. he filed my sales tax wrong. he typed in "sales tax collected -xyz. " then he typed " sales tax owed "0". i sent a check for the correct amount owed, but they would not accept it, cus the return was filed wrong. he charged me $125 for his service on this. i corrected it myself, which required 2 hrs worth of phone time with the state (over 4 different phone calls, to get someone who finally knew wtf was going on). i had to stop payment on the original check, and send new one (approx 25 min time.) and a $35 stop payment fee. tell me, what does my accountant owe me?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

A referal to a new accountant.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, you need a new accountant.

Second, confront him on his poor tax preparation and ask him how is he going to credit you for your work.

kc

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

he owes you nothing. you should have had him correct his mistakes.

as for your time and stop check fee...that is the cost of doing business.

GEO

5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course he owes something.

If the accountant missed that much the first time, would you go back to him to "fix" what he couldn't do in the first place?

kc

6. geogunn

from TN

yes, of course I would.

it was his mistake and I would expect him to make good on the work I paid him for.

that is, of course, unless I was quitting him.

in either case, because the acct made a mistake, that doesn't mean BG is "owed" anything other than for the acct to correct his misatake.

like I said, dealing with administration of a business is part of the cost of doing business.

now if I were the acct, I would probably offer a credit to the bill for my mistake.

GEO

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

the problem needed to be adressed immediately. he, was not available immediately. i dealt with it myself. why shouldn't the accountant refund my money, plus my incurred expenses? don't YOU garentee your work?

8. geogunn

from TN

bob--is there something about plain english you can't understand this morning? a credit to your bill is all you get and that is if you are nice about the matter.

question: you miss a few square inches of grass on a yard or a small branch on the back of a bush...the homeowner has to pull out his mower or hedge trimmer and correct your mistake...how much do you owe the homeowner?

same difference.

GEO :dizzy:

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

vey bad comparisson. will the missed spots in the lawn cost the customer money in late fees and penalties for not filing + not paying ontime? very bad comparisson. but, nonetheless, thank you for your meaningless, foolish, and a bit agrevating, advice.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

$485.00..........................