Please help me! I used the wrong weed killer on my lawn...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kptexan, Apr 28, 2007.

1. kptexan

kptexan LawnSite Member

This afternoon, I made one of the most foolish mistakes ever. I bought some Scotts Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed control and applied it to my lawn as instructed. After I doing this, I realized the bag said not to use this product on St. Augustine grass. The problem is that my entire lawn is St. Augustine! What can I do to keep it from killing my lawn? I've already throughly sprayed every square inch of my lawn with a high pressure water hose nozzle to knock the granules off the grass blades and I've been constantly watering my lawn with the sprinkler. What's the chance my lawn is going to die on me? How long will it take for me to know? I'm so upset at myself for doing this and wish it never happened.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Calll Scotts hot line and hope you can get someone before the sun comes up. I think you are on the correct track in trying to get it washed off and down into the ground....about the only thing you can do.
  3. kptexan

kptexan LawnSite Member

Yeah, I spoke with them earlier and that's pretty much what they told me to do. They kind of scared me but I think they have to tell the worst case scenario for liability reasons. I just pray that this isnt the end of my lawn. This is truly one of the dumbest mistkakes I've ever made. Anyone have firsthand experience with this exact mistake?

4. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

your grass is going to be fine. just wait and see.
  5. kptexan

kptexan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the positive reply. I sure hope you're right. I live on a street where all the houses have nice green, well cared for lawns and I keep having this horrible daydream that my lawn will be the only one that's brown and ugly! That would be pretty embarrasing so I'm gonna pray it doesn't happen.

6. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

If it where to die just rent a sod cutter and steal your next door neighbors lawn when he is at work Monday. He will never notice! But 4real, your lawn will be fine. Use a organic fertikizer next time and stay away from as many chemicals as possible. Use chemicals and synthetic fertilizers on a as needed basis. Organics are environmentally safe and better effective.
  7. mwaller98

mwaller98 LawnSite Member

if you are really worried about it, you can apply an activated charcoal (either granular or powder) to the entire lawn to absorb the weed control. The fert won't harm the lawn but the weed control may.

check out this link for app rates etc.

Lesco sells 2.5 gallon jugs (23 lbs) for about 70-80 bucks which will treat approx 4-10 thousand sq ft

hope this helps
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Probably did more damage with that high pressure nozzle than the herbicide did. I would have sucked up the stuff with a shop-vac then flooded the lawn to leach it out.
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

St. Augustine is pretty sensitive to phenoxy herbicides especially when it is fully out of dormancy and growing rapidly. Maybe Ric or other members in the deep south can chime in with some advice but at this point copius amounts of water and A. Charcoal maybe your best bet. I'd be very surprised if you didn't see at least some damage to the lawn. The fert. should help it recover but watch for yellowing, deformation of leaves, twisting, curling etc. I would also be curious why Scott's thought it would be ok to sell that product in your market since that turf-type is so common.
  10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Kptexan: I did a check for the composition on Scotts and Southern Speedzone. Southern Speedzone is "labeled" as being safe for common St. Augustine. The comparision of the two shows that the 2,4-D is much much lower in the Scotts Product. I don't have a label on the Scotts products to see what else is in it but as Nathan pointed out in above post--Your grass will be fine. You "may" get a little yellowing but it should recover.
    It's a good thing that you watered it into the ground, I'd water it again today especially if it is going to be warm.

Do you have a sprinkler system? If, so turn them on during the heat of the day.

I have St. Augustine on the SC property as well as centipede. In the future there is a Scotts products for St. Augustine that is Weed and Feed. Never seen it but it's available maybe at Lowe's or Home Depot.

For your summer weeds, check out the "Image for St. Augustine and Centipede" It is a hose end application that covers 8K. and available at Lowe's. St. Augustine and Centipede are picky grasses. Outside of Atrazine, and 0-0-7 Dimension and other Pre-em, there are few Herbicides that the grass will tolerate, especially the Three-Ways as in the Southern Speedzone.

Scotts Plus 2 composition is 1.21% 2,4-D and 0.605% Mecoprop-PCarfentrazone-ethyl 0.54%

Southern Speedzone which used in the lower application/K is safe for common St. Augustine (see below)
    2,4-D, 2-ethylhexyl ester . . . . . . . 10.49%
    Mecoprop-p acid . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.66%
    Dicamba acid . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.67

Sure hope this will help and remember to water again.