please help me indentify these....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sailinstud420, Jun 22, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

i am going to need some help identify some shrubs, and other stuff, stand by, I have to get these pics going.... For some reason I am not able to attach stuff to this first message??

2. sailinstud420

why is the "manage attachments" button not showing up?

3. sailinstud420

more coming, hang on....

bush 1.JPG

bush 2.JPG

bush 3.JPG

bush 4.JPG

bush 5.JPG

4. sailinstud420

here's some more...

bush 6.JPG

bush 7.JPG

bush 8.JPG

the house1.JPG

5. sailinstud420

need some help identifying these shurbs/bushes. A client wants them trimmed and I want to know what they are so I dont sound stupid. Pictures 1 & 2 are the one bush and 3 & 4 are another. 3 & 4 I am guessing you dont trim at all, I just am curious as to what they are and what anyone does to maintain them.

photo 5 is another kind of something... What are those? I am guessing rhodendrum? Along with the plant in photo 6??

Also, in photo 5, what are the flowers in 5 that are circled in red? They are just randomly growing throughout the plant beds and have also taken root in the cracks in the sidewalk, I am looking to put all new woodchips and stuff down, what should I do with these?

picture 7 is an upclose of the plant in picture 6....

Picture 8, This is called what??

Picture 9, now you can see the house so you get an idea of what you are looking at.... The dried out lawn is not my fault btw!!

okay, that is everything. If you could make a list for each picture (1, 2, etc) , tell me what they are and what to do with them it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

DSCN3902.JPG

6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

#1 & #2 look like artic willows. Very easy to maintain and you can do just about anything to them. I have seen them twice that size and cut down to just stubs and the following year they were just as big and full. The more you trim them the more they grow. Take advantage of the situation. Can't tell you much about the other ones.

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

#3 - Spirea.
    #5 - plants outlined in red are little violas.
    #6/7 - looks to be a cornus sericea/red twig dogwood - Is it in partial to full shade?
    #8 - Miscanthus sinesis (most likely 'gracillimus')/Maiden Grass.

8. sailinstud420

6 & 7 are mostly in the sun, the tree is just catching a little shade off of the side of the house. Can i trim that beast back??