Please Help Me Out

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Al Jackson, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Al Jackson

Al Jackson LawnSite Member

I'm looking to purchasing this franchise some time this year. Please give me your take on the company. I sent a thread prior to this, but the link did not work, so I'm sending it again. Organic Vets please help me out here. I also want to know if organic fertilizer works as good as fertilizer from TGCL?:waving:

2. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

I don't see any weed control, grub control or anything besides liquid fert. unless it's all in that one spray and they really don't say.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

All right, I checked out the SprayGreen website and it does say that insect control is in the fert. As a franchisee, I would want to know what's in the fert because I'm sure a few customers will want to know as well. It seems awfully expensive too, either 87.5 or 92.5 to start up...Ouch.
    Here's the one paragraph that would scare me off:

Most customers elect to have their lawn and garden treated about once a month, to sustain the benefits of using SprayGreen. But unlike many lawn care companies, SprayGreen doesn't require year-long commitments or contracts. We come and spray when YOU decide your lawn needs it.

IMO, you're asking for lots of trouble there. Honestly, you're going to get customers who don't want to spend a lot of money. Well, you might only go to some customers a few times a year, and that's going to hurt your bottom line, as the franchise is still going to want their cut at the end of the year, and you only have 200 customers picking out a few apps...What will you have left for you at the end of the year?
    It's a franchise and if you're thinking of buying into it, you need to do as much research as possible before dropping coin and going forward.

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I also want to know if organic fertilizer works as good as fertilizer from TGCL?

Yes, organic fertilizer will work as good as TGCL's fert. The difference between synthetic and organic ferts are well documented, and I would do a search on here or google it. Organic ferts feed the soil, while synthetic ferts feed the turf. TGCL's famous fert is 46-0-0 which greens the turf and makes it grow. Problem is it destroys the soil at the same time with it's high salt content, making the turf dependent on getting that N boost every 4-6 weeks to stay alive. Whether it be the lawn condition or bad customer service, the average TGCL customers lasts 2-3 years, and then most move on to other companies. Just be ready to snatch them up.

5. Al Jackson

Natty, thanks for all the good information. Actually, there's no royalty fee with spraygreen. I would have to purchase the fertilizer from them. Is there anything else that comes to mind that I should be looking for?

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I would certainly want to know what is in their products. The website only says it works, not what it is made from. I have my doubts about the benefits of their products. I have my doubts about most of the commercial organic products (of this type), out there as well. Liquid organic products have a tendency to turn putrid in a very short time. If you open the jug and it smells like rotten eggs then you are wasting your money.

7. Al Jackson

Thanks for the reply mudstooper. Why do you doubt the benefits?

8. muddstopper

Good soil is made up of minerals, air, water, microbes.
    You cant make grow healthy plants without good soil, fertilizer (as in chemical fertilizers) destroys the soil, so If fertilizer destroys the soil you cant grow healthy plants with fertilizer. Simple truths..

Most of the organic products on the market only address part of the problem. They want to apply much needed microbes with out a microbe food source,
    the the microbes die and you loose any benefit they might have provided. Other manufacturers try to address the microbe food sources problem by adding organic materials that are high in nitrogen, but this just feeds part of the microbes and establishes an imbalance of nitrogen feeding microbes and nitrogen fixing microbes. When manufacturers stop selling products based on NPK to feed the plants and start thinking about proteins and carbohydrates to feed the microbes, then you will find good organic products on the market. Right now, most of the products only have a limited value and are extremely overpriced. They are still better than the alternative source of chemical fertilizers, just not as good as they could be.

9. Al Jackson

Thanks for all the good information, Muddstopper. You have mentioned several things I should look for in this product. Obviously, I should ask how they addressed the microbe food source problem. If they added organic materials that are high in nitrogen, protein and carbs?

10. muddstopper

since I cant edit my previous post I will do it here.
    Should have read,
    To take that a little further.

We are what we eat. We are eating food derived from fertilizer grown plants. If you cant grow healthy plants with fertilizer, we cant be eating healthy foods. If we aren't eating healthy foods then, we cant be healthy people.

Plants can live off fertilizers as we can live off junk food. the obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc., etc., is a result of what we eat.