please help me understand what happened

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

on saturdays, i go out alone and cut 10 lawns. i get $30 each for these lawns. i start at 8, and return home by 1. today, my wife had things to do, so i put it in 4th and hustled my butt off and got the 10 lawns done by 12:15. i saved 45 minutes. this made me happy, because i know that time =money, so i know i made more today by saving 45 minutes. when i got home, i reached in my pocket and added up the checks, they only came out to $300. i was sure i added wrong. i counted again, it still came out to $300. i became worried, and upset, WHERE'S THE REST OF MY MONEY? i counted and counted, and counted, checked all my pockets, my shirt pockets, the floor of the truck. still, i could not find the extra money i made by getting the jobs done faster. can anyone help me figure out where the extra money is?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What happened? Simple
    You went from making $60.00 an hour to making almost $75.00 an hour.
    If given a choice to work at
    A: Geo's Bill Collection Agency for $60.00 an hour
    or working at
    B: Jodi's Bill Collection Agency doing the exact same job for $75.00 an hour, which would you choose?

3. Simplyhere

Simplyhere LawnSite Member

Newbie to the rescue:

Hmmm...let's see. 300 minutes average work time (on Saturday) divided by 10 lawns equals 30 minutes per lawn.

Finished today 45 minutes early (awesome job), which means you had the opportunity to add an additional lawn (if the average of 30 minutes still holds) and a half.

Now since your wife was involved (meaning you NEEDED to finish early on her behalf) we see the following:

1) We state that girls (your wife) requires both time and money.

Girls = (Time) x (Money)

2) We recognize that time is money.

Time = Money

3) We use the substitution property and substitute money for time in the first equation.

Girls = (Money) x (Money)
    or
    Girls = Money

4) We recognize that Money is the root of all Evil.

Evil = Money

5) We can say that the square root of money is equal to money squared.

Money = Money

6) Because step number five is true, than it is safe to conclude that:

Girls = Evil

I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but I feel pretty darn good about the math. Glad I could help.

:D

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

1.Just saved 45 minutes of running equipment,which means you can cut more lawns for a longer period of time with same equipment(not have to replace as often)
    2.Cut down on maintenance time for said equipment if you're changing plugs,oil,hydro fluid and greasing fittings based on hours used.
    3.Found out that now you can squeeze in 1 or 2 more lawns by 1:00 for $60.00 more ,so you can now make $360 by 1 instead of $300.
    4.I like Jodi's math skills.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You worked smarter for more money and more free down time.

6. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

You say you know that time equals money but it's very obvious that you don't.

You wouldn't be asking where your "extra" money is. What is extra is your time, genius.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

so ken, you are saying that i got extra time cus of my efforts, but not extra money. now i'm confused, because time = money. nick, stick to bass fishin, running the equipment harder and faster burns more fuel, and causes more wear and tear. and you see the reason i had to get home early, is cus my wife had to go out. i needed to watch my kids, i don't allow strangers to watch my kids. as far as cutting more lawns, there were no more, my route is now complete. if time = money, then how come there was still only $300 in my pocket. which, by the way, i'm going to invest $18 of that into a fresh new 30 pack, see you stiffs later

8. I believe the QUALITY OF CUT went down hill by going to 4th gear!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

so then the jobs need to be priced taking into consideration you will run in 2nd? 3rd? this takes more time, time is money. why are there 5 speeds on the mower?

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For transporting.

Cmon Bobby, your digging yourself deeper into the hole.