Please help me! Want to start a biz! =)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keely737, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Keely737

Keely737 LawnSite Member

I have intentions to start a landscape/hardscape/irrigation biz sometime after the first of the year, and I am trying to get educated and get my ducks in a row. I've started the research for setting up the LLC, getting an EIN, read up some on taxes and employees (won't have employees to start), I've looked into SBA loans (although I probably can't pledge enough personal assets at this very moment to get the amount I would like for truck, trailer, and mini), and I've read some blog postings giving me some ideas on the cost of the general liability insurance. I've picked a potential name and and I've also gotten quotes on logo and web design.

What else do I need to be looking into? Is a certain order best to do all these things? Does anyone know an easy way to get lending if you have good personal credit and are using it to purchase tangible assets (like truck and machinery) instead of operating capital?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Rule number one. Don't start off in debt. No matter how successful you think you are going to be you are still starting with zero customers. No bank is going to lend money to start up a business in this field. Pay cash for good basic equipment and upgrade as you grow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Any experience in the industry?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Keely737

Keely737 LawnSite Member

Thanks, Patriot.

KrayzKajun, it will be a joint venture with my husband. He is a foreman with 10 years experience. I work in another industry and am doing the business setup. The extent of my experience was limited to laying sod and planting trees the summer I was 16 :weightlifter: , but he knows what he is doing outside of organizing the business setup.

5. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Those are 3 very different businesses, might want to start out with the one your best at and work from there.

6. brandharro

brandharro LawnSite Member

Rule number one. Don't start off in debt.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Best advice right there.

Rent the equipment you need until you get to a point you "need" to buy it.

This will minimize your debt load on top of the insurances you'll need to carry on anything you buy.

Start of slow, do what you know how to do best and the rest will come.

Don't forget to advertise also and Business Networking Groups are a great source of referrals.

8. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

You can start off small and do what you you are only capable of doing. Don't try to put the horse before the wagon. For all you may know you might not like this line of work. But if all you can afford is a 21 inch mower and three trimmers/edgers/blower you can focus on small yards for now. Learn how to advertise especially online. Wish you the best.

9. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly...I would be hesitant to start up with debt, and if you are don't take on too much debt. Search for good deals that you can pay cash for, take your time and you'll find some. The amount of time you invest in searching for a deal will save you a lot.

Also, keep reading up on this forum. You'll find some good info. here, some maybe not as good. But overall you will educated yourself a good amount by reading through some past posts as well as starting new threads and asking good questions.

Best of luck to you.

10. Keely737

Keely737 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for taking time to provide me with advice! I just found this site, and so far it is very helpful!