Please help me with bookkeeping!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawnboy85, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

Once again, I am gladly turning my questions over to the pros in the business. I have about 60 yards and I'm mostly a one-man operation but I do occasionally hire 3 of my family members as employees. I desperately need help with bookkeeping. Is it necessary to go buy a program specified towards lawn care or can I just use Microsoft Office Excel 2003?

I want something very simple, possibly as simple as a 10-12 columnar pad that you can buy at Wal-Mart. So far, these are the titles I have listed in my 6-column ledger:

-Date
    -Total amount earned that day
    -My earnings
    -Employees' earnings

I have an expanded file notebook (containing receipts, etc.) with dividers labeled as:

-Fuel
    -Repairs
    -Supplies
    -Office Supplies
    -Insurance
    -Deposit Slips
    -Billing Receipts

I have information regarding tax rates, with two tax rates, one for lawns out in the country and one for lawns in the city. Do many of you use the two tax rates? It is my understanding that I must pay income tax and sales tax.

I would like to know what other column titles I should include (one of the top of my head - 'customers who owe money') in my columnar pad from Wal-Mart (if many of you go that route). Any information regarding being "legit" in this business would be greatly appreciated. If any of you have in-depth instructions, you can e-mail them to me at the address listed at the bottom of this page. Anything that you use on a daily basis is valuable information to me. I have a date-book to schedule my customers on, and I feel confident in the way I use that.

Sorry for the length of this thread, but I consider bookkeeping a must in order to avoid Uncle Sam.

Thanks for the help,

Blake Lohse
    Lohse's Lawn Service

lohseslawnservice@sbcglobal.net

2. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I have Quickbooks Pro 2007 and like it alot. Could not imagine trying to manage 60 accounts without it. I also have Qxpress that I am trying out and like that alot aswell. I will probably be buying it this summer. Qxpress is a rounting software that SEAMLESSLY syncs with quickbooks. It will be a bit pricey at first for all the software but for having 60 accounts, you should be fine.

3. where you have a six column book now, with quickbooks you could track hundreds of different items, a good program for accounting and payroll, makes life a lot easier.

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Dome Monthly Bookkeeping Record is what I use. Check Office Max, Staples, etc. Office Depot has their own version but I prefer the Dome myself.

You didn't mention it but be sure to keep up with your mileage too. Last year was a .44.5ยข per mile deduction. If you take this deduction though, keep your mower gas seperate from the truck gas - can't take truck gas (repair, etc.) and the mileage deduction. It's one or the other.