Please help me with my weed problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Waunakee, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Waunakee

Waunakee LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I have a newly constructed home and I have a terrible weed problem. I have crushed granite covered the dirt, with a net type material under that. I know the net material is suppossed to stop weed growth, but it sure doesn't.

I don't know if I should lay more rock, if that would stop them, or if I need to lay down a thicker or better tarp to prevent them.

The types of weeds vary depending on the time of year, but the rock is covered with them in a matter of a couple weeks after pulling.

I don't have any flowers or anything, so the net isn't full of holes, I just have the smallish shrubs (spirea type) that came with the house.

I'd love some advice.

2. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! I'm sure folks here we be more than happy to help with your problem as they have helped me. It would really help get your question answered, if you could take some pictures of your current lawn and post them. This will help others lead you in the right direction. You also may want to have a soil test performed if you haven't already.

Matt

3. Waunakee

Waunakee LawnSite Member

thanks. my lawn isn't the problem, it's the crushed granite covered part of my landscaping. I'll take a photo if it will help diagnose, but of what? The rock? Netting?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get a sprayer and some round-up, read the instructions and treat the weeds once / month, unfortunately this is a common ailment.
    I got to where every time I cut the grass I use the sprayer, that's on a commercial basis but I can't see why a homeowner shouldn't include it in his or her routine, works great, you get a few weeds but it's under control.