Please help me with this situation

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cloud9Landscapes, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

I have a customer who lives about 3 or 4 miles away from my house and I maintain their front and back lawn only. I don't maintain any shrubs or hedges, just the turf. Well earlier this month I come pulling up and start pushing my equipment to the backyard then I go inside my truck to take a phone call. Well then I see the home owner pushing my equipment back out onto the driveway. I was like WTF? So I get out and talk to him and he says that he had already mowed it because he thought I wasn't coming (I had changed my schedule 2 weeks prior to this from Wednesday to Sunday, even though I had talked to him the previous Sunday I was there to mow, it apparently flew right over his head.) So after he told me this I was like, W/e, see you next Sunday. Well next Sunday came and same thing, except this time he had mowed it because he was having his bible study over. It really wasn't that inconvenient for me because I have a full service account kiddie-corner to this account.

But today I received the bill and they only paid for half the month. And I'm slightly steamed over this because I still made the effort to go there and work. I'm giving these people a killer deal already, they are filthy rich (just redid swimming pool, hard scape, entire house, etc) and it's not like they couldn't pay me. I know doctors will charge you for an appointment if you don't show up, why not me? What do you guys do in this circumstance?

2. bottom line, he doesn't want it mowed on sunday.

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

sound to me he doesn't want it done on Sunday bu there is not a whole lot you can do to get your money it will end up causing more headache then worth most times

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Sounds like you need to drop him off your list and replace him with a new client. Remember, customers are commodities. Friends aren't. Neither is family. But customers are. It's just good business.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like your new to this game.

dont show up at a custoemrs house on a weekend. <--- Big no no.

2nd what does your contract say ?

to be honest I would have done the same thing.

business houers are from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM MON-FIR

there is NO business inbetween these hours. <--- notice the period

I would have cancled you if you showed up at my place on Sunday.

Not even my cleaning lady show's up on weekends

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you even schedule work on a Sunday for a residential property?

As said in the above post, if you would have shown up at my house, I would have asked you to leave, send me a final invoice, and take me off your list. I think you have no reason to be upset, and should have been given a notice to not return.

7. domain311

domain311 LawnSite Member

No Sunday's, man...I woulda been pissed if I were him too. Surprised others seem to be ok with this too? I would get out of that habit asap to be honest...

8. Lawn Racer

Lawn Racer LawnSite Member

Ya no sundays at all.:nono:

9. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

What if he's Jewish? Sunday would be fine,Saturday is their day for Temple.Or Jehovah's Witness?

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If he didn't want you there on Sunday he should have said so. I would decide if you want to deal with him anymore. If you do, ignore it, if you don't, call him and ask for your money.