Please help me with trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my trailer brakes are not working. Today I took the rim and hub off to find out what the problem was.

I have never adjusted/tightned up the brakes so I assumed this must be the problem. I turned the adjusting nut and then tried to put the hub back on. I couldn't because the brakes had expanded too much.

When I activated the electric brakes I noticed a humming sound, but I noticed that the brake shoes had not moved. What is going on here? I know that they are getting power but why are they not activating? Will they do it when the brake drum (hub) is back on there?

How many turns should I adjust the screw on the brakes?

This is my first time really messing with these so any help would be appreciated.

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

I do not know alot about them. I have only had a trailer for about a year, but I know that you should only adjust them with the drum on. Hope this helps. Btw the humming is usually normal.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, I've got it fixed. The links you provided helped alot Harry.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Just make sure that you have everything adjusted correctly. I would load the trailer up and try a "panic stop" (in a very safe place without any traffic) just to make sure everything is ok before you really need the brakes. Glad you were able to get everything working again.

Gravely_Man

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

The shoes are spread by the magnet grabbing the drum. That hum is the magnet being activated but has nothing to grab.